Chainsaw buddy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat-face timber

Knot Bumper
Reaction score
I have alot of smaller limbs ect to cut up and season.
I need a good way to cut them to length.
I have built the saw horses and the log holders.
Did not really like using them, either you have to have somebody hold the limb, or I wear out my cutting block.

My question is the "Chainsaw Buddy" do they work good?
What is your opinion of them?

Last edited:
I stuff my small stuff into a milk crate and hack it off... The standard milk crate is like 12" tall. I find that to be the easiest way to deal with the small stuff. If you pack it tight enough you can cut alot of it real quick.

Jeff

when i do small stuff (which i hate doing) i pile them up even on one end then run a ratchet strap around one end of the pile and cut them all together.

I have never used the Chainsaw Buddy, but it looks slow, and designed for someone fairly new to saws. You might get some other ideas from this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/186935.htm

I use a compound lever, anvil style pruner for cutting most green limbs up to about 1-/2 inches in diameter.

While I hate to promote it, because I don't think it is of the quality I would like, the Black and Decker Alligator loper is one of the few tools really designed for this.

Black & Decker Tools | Alligator Lopper LP1000

Philbert

I know it uses more fuel... but sometimes ill clamp (cantilever) the small stuff in my splitter. Holds it pretty solid.

I have alot of smaller limbs ect to cut up and season.
I need a good way to cut them to length.
I have built the saw horses and the log holders.
Did not really like using them, either you have to have somebody hold the limb, or I wear out my cutting block.

My question is the "Chainsaw Buddy" do they work good?
What is your opinion of them?

Something on this order? No folling arund with clamps, bungee cords etc.

sawbuck-Copy.jpg

sawbuck1.jpg

It tolds up after use:

sawbicl2.jpg

Harry K

I just lay out a few small diameter logs that will be cut up during the last round to keep the bar n chain from going into the dirt. Then lay out two 4 foot bungies and pile the small stuff on the small diameter logs. Then hook the ends of the bungies together. Then mark the pile like I would a full sized log and cut it all to size.

IMG_0882_zps9f93a05f.jpg

I own one it sits on the shelf.
They work OK if you like bending over with your saw,or have a large bar i guess.
Logs tend to roll on you when you get to the end.
I rate it as good as (TITS ON A BULL)
I cloned a (Smart-Holder Firewood Holder) out of wood,made the jaws from angle iron and welded concrete nails so there is no slippage.(not OSHA approved)
Better than awesome for small stuff!
You don't have to bend over and you can run a smaller lighter saw and put a wheelbarrow below to catch the logs.

I have never used the Chainsaw Buddy, but it looks slow, and designed for someone fairly new to saws. You might get some other ideas from this thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/186935.htm

I use a compound lever, anvil style pruner for cutting most green limbs up to about 1-/2 inches in diameter.

While I hate to promote it, because I don't think it is of the quality I would like, the Black and Decker Alligator loper is one of the few tools really designed for this.

Black & Decker Tools | Alligator Lopper LP1000

Philbert

BWAHAHAHA! My boss got me a JAWSAW!!! HAHAH havent used it yet, but I am going to give it a workout next time I exercise the generator and burn up some older gas. I tried it out just for function, seems to have decent RPM and the lever to move the bar works well.

It looks like another toy for the yuppie crowd, but I really can't say. There is no easy way to cut up small stuff.

I avoid those as much as possible but when I have to deal with them I hold them down with my foot and cut them 1/2 way from the small end and then roll 'em over with my toe and finish. I always start at the top of the tree at about 1" diameter

BWAHAHAHA! My boss got me a JAWSAW!!!

It looks like another toy for the yuppie crowd,

Re-read my post where I hesitate to promote it. But show me another tool that will grab and cut a bunch of stringy branches that are too big for a hedge trimmer. Unless you are going to leave them, cut them individually, run the whole branch through a large chipper.

Have not used one myself. I would like to see a better quality model, with a little larger capacity (current one is only 6" bar?), but I think that it is an interesting tool for brush and small branches. Would not use it for the 3" wood they show in the ads, except for maybe an occasional branch.

Philbert

attachment.php

I was talking about the chainsaw buddy, not the alligator saw jaw thing.

Well, I think that the alligator thing looks like a yuppie yard appliance - especially, if it is sold as replacing 11 yard tools (like the magic blenders are sold to replace dozens of other kitchen appliances)! But I still think that a well made version with a 12 inch bar would be really interesting to try for reducing an overgrown hedge into kindling and compostable twigs.

I don't have a chipper, so Mr. Chomp-Chomp might be a way to take those busy piles down a bit for their trip to the compost site. Will keep my eyes out for one of these during the upcoming garage sale season and report back.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back