Cold weather clothing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Mittens? on a climber? I need more than my thumb to climb." Hey, just a minuite, you were the one who responded as if you had never seen the trigger finger mittens. I was replying to you as if you had shot them down,without ever seeing any... as your statement about them would imply. By all means, use what you are comfortable with.Us climbers are all picky sob's anyway. When we find what we like,thats it. Just like trying to get a n old climber to change his climbing knot, or favorite climbing saw.Actually i have changed a lot over the years. When i started climbing, it was with an old green poulan s25, made without a chainbrake,and a kill switch that shocked you. And a few companies were still using manilla or hemp natural fiber climbing lines.Now its a throwball,ascenders,hi-v orange climbing line and a ms200t

For back then Super 25 DA Poulan was top shelf and manilla wasn't a bad climbing line. I preferred it to the 3 strand nylon/esterlon that came out before the braids.

One more thing bout the cold is if you chew dont forget to put your tin in your jacket, ive had my grizzly turn into perma-frost when ive left in my back pocket. :dizzy:

poulans

Yea, the super was nice,when i finally got one. I still have one of the plain old s25's around somewhere,and it still runs.For climbing little stuff i use the little echo 301,and for bigger climbing, i use the stihl200t. The 192 is good,too, but not quite as much power.There are very few trees around here that require an 029 or 044 in the tree,thank God.Standing on spurs blocking down a trunk with an 044 is a literal pain. I hated those fiber ropes.I just didnt trust them. By 1987, i switched over to blue water special rappelling rope that my friends used rappelling,then on to the real arborists ropes with the next climbing line.

There are very few trees around here that require an 029 or 044 in the tree,thank God.Standing on spurs blocking down a trunk with an 044 is a literal pain. .

Can't tell ya how many times I've had to reposition sideways while on spikes so the 24" or 36" bar will reach, a 660 in the tree is a beautiful thing.

If you can hold it, that is.:cheers:

For you hands, Pop a couple of www.Heatfactory.com packets in your gloves.

They are about the size of a tea bag, last all day.

Even better, if it warms up just re-seal them and they keep their punch for the next cold day.

I get mine for about a buck-and-a-quarter for a pair.

Real nice, comfy hands.

RedlineIt

For you hands, Pop a couple of www.Heatfactory.com packets in your gloves.

They are about the size of a tea bag, last all day.

Even better, if it warms up just re-seal them and they keep their punch for the next cold day.

I get mine for about a buck-and-a-quarter for a pair.

Real nice, comfy hands.

RedlineIt

I like that.:cheers:

When it's 15 degrees or below, I always wear my pair of stihl summer chainsaw pants underneath my carhartt bibs. It's toasty and effecient. Also my saddle fits real nice and snug. Then I just layer the upper body as necessary.

Man I can't wair for some winter tree work!

For extreme cold-weather climbing, you'll want to layer effectively with high-performance gear. Start with thermal underwear made from merino wool for warmth and moisture-wicking, which is crucial in cold environments. For outerwear, consider waterproof and windproof materials like nylon, but make sure they're breathable to avoid overheating. Flexibility is key, so look for non-restrictive, lightweight options. For gloves, prioritize insulated, waterproof models that allow dexterity. You can find top-quality merino wool gear at https://merinoprotect.com/ to stay warm and comfortable in harsh winter conditions.

Latest posts

Back