Custom Chainsaw Tools Storage Box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

Tired of lugging a large metal tool box around when I go and see saws to buy, when I test saws after rebuilding or when I go out to collect wood, I decided to make a custom one.

I thought I’d bring you along on the journey.

I can’t quite decide if I should put the leather and brass handle on the top, side or end. Also where to put the classic old school logo?

Let me know below.

The intention is that each compartment isn’t set in stone. For example I won’t need a spark tester when I go out cutting, so that area can then be filled with a spare chain or spark plug and bar nuts etc.

If I’m going to buy / check out a saw I won’t need the sharpening kit, but I could chuck in a few rags and a longer ratchet. You get the idea.

I can’t decide if I should omit the divider between the spark tester and tuning screw drivers to open the space up. Thoughts?

I plan to use putty on the edges and to cover the countersunk screws followed by a sand, prime and then paint with stihl grey on the outside, go bare wood inside (to stop any paint flaking as the tools tap around and instead line the inside with a thin matting.

D170BEC5-6A0A-4525-A706-79B1AADE91C9.jpeg32CAEDA3-D762-46C4-8A83-BFB5FA3F9923.jpeg
E4CA1B5E-15E9-4C8E-8F62-C6EC018DF3BC.jpeg981B31AA-9B4F-4A81-B283-16560AE44041.jpeg

Looking good!

Regarding your spark tester, do you need a gap type? Opama builds these sparkstar for Echo and a few others. Its inductive so you just put it near the wire/plug/coil.

Wont tell you if the plug is dead but saves room and fits on your keychain!
e0ca2ac7a252967c95df5113caa2f610.jpg

Fitted the base and sanded everything true / square both inside and out. I finished today with filling all the screw holes. Tomorrow I’ll fit the lid and sand it flush. I’ll finish up cleaning the inside before spray painting it.

I just can’t decide if I should spray pain the inside with acrylic too. I want it all stihl grey, but do you recon it will chip and leave debris in the box?

D1C6005D-A90D-4C03-96A3-6C5215BF1F00.jpeg

Fitted the base and sanded everything true / square both inside and out. I finished today with filling all the screw holes. Tomorrow I’ll fit the lid and sand it flush. I’ll finish up cleaning the inside before spray painting it.

I just can’t decide if I should spray pain the inside with acrylic too. I want it all stihl grey, but do you recon it will chip and leave debris in the box?

View attachment 874701
If paint chipping is a concern for you on the inside, you could just oil it.

Really good call, I have some pre oxidised linseed oil, that’ll work a treat.
Yeah it's one of those ideas that eventually comes to you... my saw cabinet/shelf. I used an oil stain on it so when the bar oil gets all over the place I can just wipe it off.

It's the same with two other bench sections I have allocated to engine work. Any spilled oil just pools for the most part.

ok I’m going stihl grey paint everywhere, but I’m going to use some thin matting on the inside to stop things sliding easily and then I have some foam that I will cut out and then adhere to the lid so when it’s closed it gently presses on the items inside :)

Turned out fairly good, though it lacks refinement, ply just doesn’t lend itself to a nice finish, but it’s strong and functional. I’m going to put some draw liner inside and possibly some egg shell foam on the inside of the lid to keep things from bashing around. I used a points earth wire as a lid support. Should hold just fine as it sits only just past 90 degrees so minimal strain. Just adds a bit of extra charm.

5510A087-1C5C-4B0B-8861-54E5FEA6C186.jpeg63FFA5BF-B944-4344-84AD-2C5228C693FA.jpeg

Latest posts

Back