Best homeowner saw (specifics in message)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont live anywhere near you, have no experience cutting your local timbers, but I do know most the saws you are talking about- although it might have been a typo that you were looking for a 347? 346XP- yes- but then so is everyone else.

Sounds like you are ready to move away from plastic cased consumer saws, so forget all the 4## Husqvarnas you mention- I do not have a lot of love for them once they are past the first owner.
Same with the Stihl 170's and 180's and the 193 was never great from the get go.
Dolmars are solid old tanks- but harder to find parts for.
Wee Echos are good for the money- but not a huge step up from the Poulan.
Forget the 610 cinder block- honest old saw in its day- but its day was a LONG time ago.

025's/ 250 are good wee saws, some folk have issues cold starting them- but they are not bad- but the 260 is leaps and bounds better in your criteria.
The 034 is a good honest provider- but maybe middle ground from what you normally cut and what you will ask the guy with the $1,500 saw to come cut.

Cheap and fit your criteria is hard to match, secondhand saws are always a gamble- pays to know what you are looking at, or have someone with you that does or you might be lining up projects.

Maybe a nice old 028 would suit you well and often can be picked up cheaply- no doubt will need some work though to be in top condition and just be aware some of the older ones did not have a chainbrake- but the hand guard sure looks like they do.
Or if you can find a good shape 346, or 353 Husqvarna- great smaller saws.
024 might be a bit small for your needs- but those, or an 024 super model are about the smallest magnesium cased saws Stihl made and the predecessor of the 026 that became the 260.
254XP is another possible, or 42 special- both getting older now- but good wee saws from Husqvarna.

Now the Dolmars are basically has beens- Makita took them over but now have discontinued gasoline powered tools.
Echos- I do not have a lot of experience with.
Stihl and Husqvarna are fairly common and parts are available both OEM and aftermarket.
5105's & 6100's will run all day with my 346xp & 353's & in some applications straight out cut the discontinued Husky's . saws . I do agree if you can find any of the 50-60 cc above class saws , they will provide yrs of reliable service for firewood weekend warriors , though not really Homeowner class saws that the tittled subject matter entails lol.

Back