Half-dead tree question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R2BC

Reaction score
Hello,

We recently purchased a home that has a large pine in the front yard. The tree looks fairly healthy, except on one side, where we believe a tree which has since been cut down (evidence in stump) had killed the growth on the tree. There are branches, but they are super brittle and there is no vegetation on them. The question we have is, should we cut the tree down, cut the dead limbs off, or put something on it to make it grow?

dead side of tree
[/IMG]
ftyarddeadtree0907.jpg

Also, regarding the stump, what is the best way to rot it out? We've been advised it can't be pulled up because it is near the gas pipe line. what does a grinder do? would this work?

thanks.

Last edited:
Dead is dead, those limbs that were shaded out will not grow again. You can trim off all the dead and live with the tree in that shape, or you can cut the tree down. If your tees are near a gas line, I suggest that you bring a professional company in rather than try to remove the stumps yourself.

clip dead wood only, and if it looks bad you can tie branches together to close the bald spot.

just mulch over the stump. If you want it to rot quicker drill holes in it, add compost, and p in them. (just do it at night when no one is looking):biggrinbounce2:

thanks

thanks for the posts!

we will try to clip the dead branches and tie them as you suggested. if that doesn't work, we will probably have it cut down :(

my hubby bought a drill bit and some nitrogen? and peat moss to put on the stump...i'll share your suggestions with him.

thanks again.

o and btw it is a blue spruce, not a pine. it can grow a little to fill the dead spot, over time. and yes hi nitrogen fertilizer will also speed decay if applied into drill holes.

another thought is to put a trellis or standard on the outside of the stump and train a vine up there to conceal the bare spot.

ha ha, just consider me tree stupid.... I appreciate the clarification and suggestions. :)

there is tree on the other side, but it is one that grows tall and thin...it's a cedar I think. It doesn't look like we'll have the same problem on that side.

trees.jpg

Last edited:
cut the dead limbs off, i wouldn't cut it down because it looks like the tree next to it will then have a "bald" spot because there close together. just my 2 cents

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back