Oiler Adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mswabbie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Stihl 028 WB. I put a 20" bar and a new chain on it. I am sawing 30" to 40" logs and the sprocket on the bar keeps freezing up. Any ideas on what could be causing this. Also, I do not have a users manual so I do not know how to adjust the oiler, can someone help with this.
Thanks

I come to this group for help, I asked what would cause the bar sprocket to freeze up, and how do I adjust the oiler on a Stihl 028 WB. Please notice I said I put a "New Bar and a New Chain" on it, I do not think the chain is dull. Can someone answer these questions, or am I just wasting my time.
Thanks Again.

Last edited:
I agree with Mike; you are over working that 028. Now I just know some armchair expert (and we have several of them) is going to come on here and say you will have no problem cutting 36 inch hardwood with the newer 026 and a 20" bar; take that advise, when it comes, for what it cost.

I have found a 20 inch bar to be to much for my 028 super in oak. It is happier with a 16 inch.

and the sprocket on the bar keeps freezing up
Is the oiler working at all? Tony is right, if you are cutting alot of that size wood you need a 70cc saw or bigger. I think if I was cutting stuff that big all the time I would have a 066mag, or a 385xp.

So basically the sprocket at the end of the bar freezes up. You have a new bar and chain, so it can't be that the bar is bent or has been damged.

My only sulution is get yourself a grease gun (if you don't have one already). I always carry a grease gun with me (a special grease gun designed to grease the tiny hole at the end of your bar). Everytime I refill the gas, I also refil the oil tank (naturally) and grease the tip of the bar until a little bit of grease comes out the side. That should solve your problem.

By the way when the gas tank is empty, is the oil also almost empty. (It must be or else you would have mentioned it). But if it doesn't you have a problem. Also, if you are cutting in cold conditions make sure youa re using light oil. Use medium or heavy only in approprite temperatures.

I have the manual for a 28 Super in front of me. (not the WB saddly). If you want to know anything it says in it, then all you got to do is ask.

About adjusting the oiler, stihlteck would know for sure, but I don't think you can adjust it. The only thing you can do is use either light, medium, or heavy bar oil depending on how much oil flow you want. (and that does a lot).

Nope no adjust. Never needed it.
Look for 2 things. A worn oiler gear, or a loose pin in the bottom of the pump. Either will cut the output down.
Don't forget to clean all passages, especially the ones UNDER the pump gasket.

bar

I think you have a bar problem. The spocket nose is pretty forgiving. We have all seen oilers fail and the nose is not affected. I vote for a new sprocket, bar tip or bar.

Re: bar

Originally posted by stihltech
I think you have a bar problem. The spocket nose is pretty forgiving. We have all seen oilers fail and the nose is not affected. I vote for a new sprocket, bar tip or bar.

He said he just got a new bar though. mswabbie, how many bars have you had this problem with?

Another thing that happens to me is getting sawdust in the sprocket at the tip of the bar. Then I have to take the bar and chain off and roll it on a smooth clean board until it's clean.

That's not the tyope of thing that will happen repeatedly though, so i dunno.

Latest posts

Back