• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Stihl 290 Farm Boss with new aftermarket 390 P&C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthunter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a nice Stihl 290 Farm Boss that I received with a scored piston and cylinder. I just installed a 49mm (390) aftermarket piston and cylinder with decomp. While I had the saw apart I went ahead and opened the muffler up a bit and port matched the intake and exhaust. The saw starts, revs, oils and idles as it should. You can see where I cut a small hole in the top cover for the decompression port (there is a little scratch where my exacto knife slipped)

Other than a couple scratches here and there the saw is in great shape.

$270 powerhead only. Paypal as friends/ family or buyer pays fees

I am guessing it was caused by the novice running the saw. Guy told me that he loaned the saw to his son and when his boy brought it back the saw wouldn't start. The scoring isn't bad on the stock cylinder. I am guessing it was a combination of a dull chain and bad mix (ethanol or low oil)

Didn't see anything that would make me believe it was caused by an air leak. All of the rubber is firm and pliable. No dry cracks, not overly soft, just right.

I have run one tank of fuel through the saw since the rebuild with no indication of a problem

Nice saw, i've recently upgraded one 290 and 2 more to go soon. I threw a de-comp valve in mine but haven't had to use it yet. I think i'm just gonna plug the next couple. Good luck with the saw if you haven't sold it yet!

~Moose

Latest posts

Back