Is it possible??? 3/8 low-profile chain on old Echo CS-330EVL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrap Farm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings!
I have an old Echo CS-330EVL. It needs a new bar and chain.
I'm very new to chainsaws, and I've just begun to explore the wide range of options for chains & bars. It seems like a low-profile chain would be nice for a smaller saw like this one. I'm considering something like this:
WoodlandPRO 14" ArborMAX Lite Bar & Chain Combo (34LP 52 Drive Links)
https://www.baileysonline.com/catal...chain-combo-34lp-52-drive-links/category/267/

I'm not even sure if this bar will mount to the saw. Specs state the bar mount is "UM". Is that supposed to be "Universal Mount"? The saw is A041, i think.

My bigger concern is with the drive sprocket. The saw originally used regular 3/8 pitch chain. I haven't been able to find a 3/8LP sprocket for it. Anyone know if they exist and where to get one?
...Or am I locked in to regular 3/8 chain for this saw?

Switching to a rim sprocket might be nice, if the option exists.

Scrap Farm, it looks like the answer is Yes you can use 3/8 low profile chain. Do you need a new bar? What is wrong with your current one?

I see Scrap Farm using the word, REGULAR chain vs Low Profile.
Unless I am wrong, I think he needs to clarify what he means by regular? I am guessing he means Standard vs low kickback/;low profile.

I do believe that Low profile or Anti Kickback chain is what is stock for your saw. According to the specs in the manual I posted above. Also, as I was researching and pondering my answers to you, I wanted to add, that you need to make sure your Sprocket specs, chain specs, and bar are all compatible matches.

I think your saw does not need a new sprocket
Virtually all saws that size use 3/8 LP stock, not full size 3/8.
Right, unless his sprocket is toast or when he verifies the existing chain and bar are all 3/8 LP.
If the sprocket is not too worn and everything matches, swapping bar and chain is simple.

I do believe that Low profile or Anti Kickback chain is what is stock for your saw.

I think your saw does not need a new sprocket
Virtually all saws that size use 3/8 LP stock, not full size 3/8.
You are both correct. I initially had the wrong impression that the stock chain for my saw was full-size 3/8, due to vague info from Echo, Oregon, and various parts sellers, as well as my own inexperience.

Echo's manual for the saw doesn't mention low-profile chain anywhere. It just states that the pitch is 3/8. It does mention "low-kickback" chain, but thought that the low-kickback feature was a function of the shape of the cutter and depth gauge and could be found on any size/pitch of chain.
Now, I'm getting the impression that the term "low-kickback" is ONLY applied to 3/8 low-profile chain. Is that correct?

Since my first post, I took a second look at the manual, which specifies Oregon 91SG chain. I looked up the specs on that chain and it is, of course, low-pro chain. So, the info I needed is sort of in the Echo manual in an indirect way. I'm sure someone with a lot of saw experience knows exactly what Oregon 91 chain is without having to look it up, but I'm a noob so...

My sprocket is shot, so I started looking for a new one. The factory part appears to be discontinued. (Echo still lists it in their online shop, but every parts place online lists it as NLA.) Oregon made an equivalent (#28000), which is also discontinued but there are plenty NOS floating around still. Oregon's website doesn't provide info on discontinued items, and specs provided by online retailers are often not very complete. Everything I saw online said the sprocket was 3/8 but didn't mention low-profile, so I assumed it was full-size 3/8. I called Oregon yesterday and they straightened me out.

Also Bailey's bar/chain selector is a bit funky. I originally used their BAR selector, but the CS-330EVL is not an option you can select for the model. They had the 330 and 330T as options, but I had no idea if they're close enough to the 330EVL to rely on for the right fit.
Today, I tried their CHAIN selector, and the 330EVL is an option there. That threw me for a loop for a while.

So I now know that the stock chain for my saw is low-profile, as is the Oregon 28000 drum/sprocket. I plan to order the bar/chain combo I linked to in my original post and the Oregon sprocket. I'll probably also grab an Oregon 90PX chain as a spare.
Let me know if I'm overlooking a glaring problem with any of these parts.

Thanks everyone!

You are both correct. I initially had the wrong impression that the stock chain for my saw was full-size 3/8, due to vague info from Echo, Oregon, and various parts sellers, as well as my own inexperience.

Echo's manual for the saw doesn't mention low-profile chain anywhere. It just states that the pitch is 3/8. It does mention "low-kickback" chain, but thought that the low-kickback feature was a function of the shape of the cutter and depth gauge and could be found on any size/pitch of chain.
Now, I'm getting the impression that the term "low-kickback" is ONLY applied to 3/8 low-profile chain. Is that correct?

Since my first post, I took a second look at the manual, which specifies Oregon 91SG chain. I looked up the specs on that chain and it is, of course, low-pro chain. So, the info I needed is sort of in the Echo manual in an indirect way. I'm sure someone with a lot of saw experience knows exactly what Oregon 91 chain is without having to look it up, but I'm a noob so...

My sprocket is shot, so I started looking for a new one. The factory part appears to be discontinued. (Echo still lists it in their online shop, but every parts place online lists it as NLA.) Oregon made an equivalent (#28000), which is also discontinued but there are plenty NOS floating around still. Oregon's website doesn't provide info on discontinued items, and specs provided by online retailers are often not very complete. Everything I saw online said the sprocket was 3/8 but didn't mention low-profile, so I assumed it was full-size 3/8. I called Oregon yesterday and they straightened me out.

Also Bailey's bar/chain selector is a bit funky. I originally used their BAR selector, but the CS-330EVL is not an option you can select for the model. They had the 330 and 330T as options, but I had no idea if they're close enough to the 330EVL to rely on for the right fit.
Today, I tried their CHAIN selector, and the 330EVL is an option there. That threw me for a loop for a while.

So I now know that the stock chain for my saw is low-profile, as is the Oregon 28000 drum/sprocket. I plan to order the bar/chain combo I linked to in my original post and the Oregon sprocket. I'll probably also grab an Oregon 90PX chain as a spare.
Let me know if I'm overlooking a glaring problem with any of these parts.

Thanks everyone!
Another thing to remember about chain is a new chain will stretch. So be prepared to tighten the chain relatively soon after installing and making a few cuts. Adjust as needed.

Low Profile (LP or Lo Pro) chain has a smaller chassis and smaller cutters that full size/regular/standard 3/8" pitch chain. Although you may not detect it hanging an LP chain on a full size 3/8" sprocket (or vice versa) they do not fit properly and will cause premature wear to the chain and sprocket.

Either type of chain can be reduced kickback or low vibration chain with the addition of ramps or bumpers in front of the cutters. Most 3/8 LP chain is semi-chisel although I have heard of 3/8 LP chisel being available, perhaps a Stihl offering?

The Echo document above references 91 SG chain which is Oregon nomenclature for 3/8 LP .050 gauge chain. Oregon 90 3/8 LP .043 gauge and is not interchangeable with the 91.

Mark

I was considering the rim sprocket from the above site (Rotary 12045), where it's described as being 6-tooth (same as the stock count), but after looking into it I'm pretty sure it's a 7 tooth sprocket.
I understand that a higher tooth count will give higher chain speed, but I imagine it sacrifices torque. Does a smaller saw like this CS-330EVL have enough juice to easily push a 7-tooth sprocket or will it bog down too easily?

Also, any idea if the larger sprocket will require extra links in the chain to fit, or should there be enough travel in the tension adjustment to compensate by cranking the bar in a little?

Latest posts

Back