Stihl s10 - success story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattio

Reaction score
Hello folks
Just found your site and wanted to commend you on it...it is great. A friend posed a challenge and gave me this box which contained a saw. he said if you can get it running you can have it. Being a chronic garage tinkerer, I took him up on it. Box had the 16" bar sticking out of it with the chain in a ball at the bottom , the handle off and motor in tact) He mentioned that it had not run in at least 6 years and it was his grandads saw). I found the saw to be a Stihl S10 (found that model out by scrubbing the crap off of it). I spent 3 night stripping it down and cleaning it). First off I gave it a pull, ...lots of spark. i thought...well this is going good...then gave it a good cleaning. Replaced everything (put new gas in it of course), and thought to fire it up. Was expecting to make my ribs sore from tuggin and believing the carb would have to be rebuilt sittin that long. But no. Gave a squirt in the carb, and 5 pulls later she coughed and died. Choked it off, and low and behold....contact. Wow...purred like a kitten. A couple of blasts on the throttle she lit right up.
I only need a saw to cut up downed limbs and a bit of campfire wood, so even an electric saw (Stihl and and Husky owner are hacking now I bet) would more than do the trick.
This saw is great ( for something older than myself). Slap a new chain on it, and I will be looking for things to cut down or up....hehe.
One thing i do ask you folks. There is a link posted in this forum that gives the specs on this saw, but it is not active anymore, does anyone have this saved on their PC???. i would like to learn more.
This saw has made a Stihl man out of me. If it can fire up from #1, being over 35 years old and run great (no smoke, no bogging), and #2, sitting in a damp dingy garage for over six years with out being turned over...well...that says a lot.
Thats my bit....I'm off to cut some thing.

PS...any info about this saw would be great....Is it a rare or quite common saw???

cheers, folks

Matt:greenchainsaw:

I am getting one going for a neighbor right now. Could not find points at the dealer, ebay , auto parts, and still looking.Also need the chokeslide. This one is a top handle, some are rear handle.
There is a fair amount of post on it if you do a search , and you will probably see the link you are looking for. Its called chain saw collecters corner I am pretty sure.

Last edited:
thats great. Thanks very much.
My choke is a top handle mount. i think i lucked out with this saw.....I called him and told him I would give him a case of beer for it....lol.

:givebeer:

I have one that I am trying to get working for a friend and I need a rewind spring for it. Any help would be appreciated. Tom

I have one that I am trying to get working for a friend and I need a rewind spring for it. Any help would be appreciated. Tom
Do you stil have the old spring? The s10 is the slightly bigger brother of the o8s series I think so the recoils should be about the same. When I first got my old wee beasty the spring had broken at the tip where it sits in the rope pully, a very simple fix is to simply gently re-bend a hook, make sure that when it is seated in its well that the center of the spring is gently bent so the hook part is on the center, use a pice of thread tied to the end and run through the case to gently pull it over to allow the pully to seat (then snap the thread after. Did this with mine and its still working thought the saw isn't :(
Shouldn't be a problem to use a different spring either as long as its about the same size, you just have to modify so that its ends are in the right places.
And oh, do consider swapping out the .040 bar/chain/sprocket for a nice .325 roller-tip set up, you won't be disappointed, that saw will easily pull a 24" bar, they are a good solid (but slow by today's standards) well built saw with tons of grunt.
My 0.02$ worth fer the morning and its off to da woodpile :chainsaw:

:cheers:

Serge

s10 stihl

I have a Stihl s10 that I bought new as a teenager. The year after I bought it, Stihl took it off the market for a year. I was told that the motor division was selling the motor to the saw division for cost and that the saw would be back out soon. I know that there was a time when the same motor was used on a saw that they made to cut masonry with. It looked slightly different, but the motor was definitely the same.
My Stihl runs more slowly than the newer chain saws, but it cuts beautifully. In the over forty years that I have owned the saw, I have replaced the piston once when the saw was borrowed by a friend and run without oil in the gas. The friend did not have my permission to borrow the saw, I have forgotten who it was, thankfully.
I did find some new points not too long ago with no trouble.

Congrats on your "new" saw. Is it the top or rear handle version? Here's my 08S I restored. Same as a top handle S-10.

265473284_SWjqU-M.jpg
265473229_QJdMs-M.jpg

I'm looking for a kill switch for an S10 saw....do you still have these parts saws?

Thanks
Chuck

If you've got parts, email me at [email protected] please.
I have one here that has about 20 hrs on it, my dad bought it and then his job got him transferred to Vancouver, was never used again. Anyone wanting a cool old saw? Open to offers, if you need to see it run I'll put up a video.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.2 KB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB
Back