Stihl won't shut off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locknload

Reaction score
Hi all, new here. My dad brought me a used Stihl MS250. He showed me how to start it and he shut it down by pushing the switch up to 'off'.

The next day I removed the cover to inspect the condition of the air filter and since then, I can't kill the saw by using the off switch. I push up and nothing happens. I end up having to choke it out to kill it. Did I lose a small piece of metal when I removed the rear cover? I see how the contact is plugged to the yellow wire and understand that when I push the switch up it rotates the assembly and pushed down on the contact spring. The switch assembly is nylon and the grey wire that plugs into it just slide into a nylon slot. Where's the metal??? I figure it would use a metal to short the ignition to kill it.
Any help would be great. I know the saw works, he was using it on a job before he came up to visit. Thanks.

Here are a couple pics.
DSC_0013Medium.jpg

DSC_0016Medium.jpg

You popped your tang, that little brass strip. It looks to be under the switch, suppose to be on top.....

Popped my tang huh? Story of my life :p. I just went out and pulled the switch up and moved the tang above like you said. Don't know how it happened but now it's fixed and THERE'S THE METAL! It's too late to fire it up but I'm certain it works now. Thanks a ton sir.

Last edited:
You'll find ole Tommy is a wealth of information, some may shock you, but he sure is packed full of usefull information.

Popped my tang huh? Story of my life :p. I just went out and pulled the switch up and moved the tang above like you said. Don't know how it happened but now it's fixed and THERE'S THE METAL! It's too late to fire it up but I'm certain it works now. Thanks a ton sir.

It's never too late to fire up a saw to test it. Wait, my closest neighbor is a mile away. Never mind .........

Glad you gotter fixed. I see that many times throughout the year, tant no biggie,:clap::clap:

Back