New toy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber1990

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I spent the money and bought the stein rcw 3002 with the winch. It says 6000 pound lifting capability. I like the dual bollard setup, it gives you some more options. Unlike the other winch devices out there all of the load isn't supported solely by the winch like the Hobbs or grcs. The winch is only there to advance the line and the weight is supported by the bollard. I don’t expect it to be as fast as the grcs or Hobbs which isn’t a huge deal. If it takes a few minutes longer to do what it’s supposed to that’s all that matters. And for the price of the stein compared to the others it’s drastically cheaper. If anyone owns one and sees this post, I would greatly appreciate some tips on using it. I haven’t put it to the test yet I’m hoping in the next week or two I’ll be able to get to some bigger jobs that require it, and I will be sure to let everyone know how it works. I’ll try and take some videos with it in action.
Best Wishes

Attachments

• IMG_2057.jpeg
    IMG_2057.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2058.jpeg
    IMG_2058.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

I don't see it being too practical for lifting any loads. Same for the Hobbs.

Using that 5:1 lever, there is no way you are going to lift 6k.

The video you posted is the old version, which is an actual lever. The one I have is the updated one with a crank handle.

I see that now.

The winch is rated at 681kg operating on a 5.4:1 gear ratio. That isn't much help when compared to the GRCS, but probably does a great job of tensioning all the rigging prior to dropping a big block off a spar. It is probably quite helpful for pulling those tops off when the climber is opposed to a lean or a brisk wind.

I don't think I'd count on it for doing the systemic kind of lifting the GRCS is good at.

The binding strap that comes with the device looks a bit light for the load rating they are putting on it. I am not pleased with how their website doesn't even show a picture of the whole kit installed on a tree, or laid out on a table for full viewing of all sides. For that kind of money, I'd expect to know exactly what I was being sold.

I agree there is not a lot of information on it. My main reason for buying it is pretensioning limbs over houses or fences, etc. I’m sure everyone has had that situation where you’re out limb walking 20 feet or more sometimes crawling out to cut smaller pieces that you are able to handle. My thoughts were I’d be able to cut the limb closer to the stem being able to lift the far end to the block in the tree and then lower. It would make my life a million times easier. Especially since I currently don’t have the financial ability to buy a bucket truck right now. So this is my best hope. I have a few trees lined up that I plan on using it on so I can find out it’s capabilities.

Back