Tarp vs No Tarp over split Firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just split about 3/4 of a cord of Hedge & about half a cord of Pecan...just wondering since I'm in Alabama and we have long hot summers and falls...would I fare just as well leaving it all just to open air season stacked or should I cover just the top?

Thanks Guys & Merry Christmas,

Reggie T

ps....Stihl 036 in cherry condition w/30" bar for $225....good deal or no???:hmm3grin2orange:

Here's what we've been doing. Stack splits a couple years ahead and leave it uncovered until the year it's to be burned.

I use a length of 6-mil black plastic to cover the top with a slight overhang to keep rain from dripping on the wood. Don't cover the sides or ends.

Hope it helps.

Leave it uncovered till a week or so before you start burning it.
Cover it when its been dry for a few days.

I have come to not like tarps. I just put a sheet of thin plywood over my stacks so the long edges overhang to protect the splits. Paint it black to absorb the heat. Tarps are finicky, they trap moisture as well as keeping it out. For some reason, they like to attact rodents as well.

I have come to not like tarps. I just put a sheet of thin plywood over my stacks so the long edges overhang to protect the splits. Paint it black to absorb the heat. Tarps are finicky, they trap moisture as well as keeping it out. For some reason, they like to attact rodents as well.

I had a leftoverr roll of 30 lb roofing felt (asphalt based). Sliced it length wise down the middle and use that to cover the tops of my stacks (18 inch log length). Stays rigid enough for a overhang, lasts all season, then toss it out. I just use a few rounds to weight it down to keep from blowing away.

1 roll has lasted me 3 seasons so far. Cheap and easy and is also black to soak up some heat. KD

Reggie I only cover the top of the stacks in the fall when I want to burn that wood for the heating season. Otherwise it sits totally exposed so the wind can do it's job.

Seasoning firewood is really easy when your getting started, just make sure you split and stack enough for two years and just keep up every year after that. You'll always have two year old firewood going forward.

Usually in the warmer months, I will not cover my stacks at all unless they are calling for buckets of rain. Come winter time or when it starts to get wet, I will cover it with a piece of silage bag plastic with the black side up and I let it hang down the sides a little as well and I staple the sides to the wood to keep it from blowing. Since I do not sell wood and have a OWB, I do not worry too much about how fast it dries. Usually if I am stacking outside, my wood shed is full so those stacks will be outside for awhile.

If I had to depend on tarps, I probably wouldn't bother. If you are using cheap tarps, they will not last.

Really it depends how wet your winters are. If wet, go ahead and cover up but if dry, leave uncovered.

Last edited:

Good point about the rodents being attracted. Half of my wood is covered on the top with tarps and half is not. I do not see any differences in moisture levels.

And most def a good deal on the 036

On the 036, I would be leary of the crank bearings on that saw if it has been running a 30" bar. They are also known for clutch drum needle bearing failures, 30" bar wouldn't help that either. Pull the clutch drum and make sure the end of the crank isn't all dished out from a failed bearing there. I would use caution with this purchase. YMMV, just my opinion.

Reg, I can't speak for the Pecan, but you can bury the hedge in the ground, dig it up in a year, and burn it. It doesn't care.

Hom many saws you got now? I thing you may be infected. ;o)

Only have 2 sir, but yes, MAC, I've been infected by alien forces......MUST WARN...others!:hmm3grin2orange:

Reg, I can't speak for the Pecan, but you can bury the hedge in the ground, dig it up in a year, and burn it. It doesn't care.

Hom many saws you got now? I thing you may be infected. ;o)

Reggie I only cover the top of the stacks in the fall when I want to burn that wood for the heating season. Otherwise it sits totally exposed so the wind can do it's job.

Seasoning firewood is really easy when your getting started, just make sure you split and stack enough for two years and just keep up every year after that. You'll always have two year old firewood going forward.

+1

I don't cover mine but would only cover the top if I did. I stack it under a big Hemlock when it is cut to length and that sheds the rain and snow pretty good. I have tried covering it with tarps in the past and it was too much of a PITA to deal with.

Without covering, the wood gets wet.Covered it is dry.:msp_thumbup: I havent had any problems with moisture using this old roof rubber.Just leave the sides open.The wood that is not covered in the pics will be left exposed and uncovered untill next summer when it will be split and used to replace what I use this year from under the covering.That way it is seasoned before it is covered.:eek:uttahere2:

Last edited:
I went from tarps to plywood to corrugated metal roofing all a few inches wider than the wood to be covered . And to answer your question it probably depends on how much rain you get. Moisture = rot, Im guessing you get a lot of rain in Alabama.

Just split about 3/4 of a cord of Hedge & about half a cord of Pecan...just wondering since I'm in Alabama and we have long hot summers and falls...would I fare just as well leaving it all just to open air season stacked or should I cover just the top?

Thanks Guys & Merry Christmas,

Reggie T

ps....Stihl 036 in cherry condition w/30" bar for $225....good deal or no???:hmm3grin2orange:

Send a pic and we'll tell you...all situations are different. If you have less than optimal airflow, I would suggest putting a tarp just on the top. Again, it depends on your situation...more info needed if you ask me.

See that green thing

002-11.jpg

It's great for a cover over firewood; I got a bunch of it after neighbor tore down his roof over his deck :msp_wink:

The thing with cheap fiberglass tarps, they're only good for one season. Don't waste your money.

On using corrugated tin and plywood I'd like to say one thing: They can become missiles in a strong wind. You can lay rounds on top to hold 'em but a storm is gonna lift that stuff and send it flying at your home, your car or whatever.

Back