Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was busy today, but I did find some time to pick some apples,

Resized-20240905-190311-S.jpg

Off to do more tractor work tomorrow!

SR

In regards to unneeded improvements; there is so much money floating around out there, I am not sure how people haven't gone broke!

I realize the younger generation got a shot in the arm to their paychecks during covid once all the baby boomers retired and the younger folk were promoted....BUT every staple good is now 4X what it was 5 years ago!

I watch the amount of money being spent on the lake where I live and just shake my head....it isn't rational.

I just figured I'll cover up my tool boxes and spray in the shop.
I did that once. Had my garage draped with plastic everywhere. Painted my boat and took it all down. Man that paint mist creeps in and my garage is pink (red boat)! Unless there is a ventilation system, I recommend not painting inside unless you don't care. I used rustoleum with a hardener and it worked perfectly...also hard to clean off. 🤣

I did that once. Had my garage draped with plastic everywhere. Painted my boat and took it all down. Man that paint mist creeps in and my garage is pink (red boat)! Unless there is a ventilation system, I recommend not painting inside unless you don't care. I used rustoleum with a hardener and it worked perfectly...also hard to clean off. 🤣
I'm not too terribly worried about over spray, there's very little running an hvlp or electrostatic spray gun. We used to paint everything at dad's shop, and just cover the boxes up the ventilation was more an issue with being able to breath and see then the over spray.
Kinda converted my cousins shop to a paint shop when I was already to paint the 79, I had the frame, engines, trans etc clogging up dad's shop. Worked out pretty well for us. Raised up the door and stuck filter panels across the bottom, then put a big fan in the man door at the back of the shop. Used single stage urethane for that, very little detectable over spray with that set up.
Planning on putting 2 24" ventilation fans in the back ceiling of my shop, 1 for ventilation when its hot and 2 for painting. Should work out fairly well.

The primer pockets aren’t centered

I’m sure they’ll go bang, but what kind of repeatability will I have for accuracy and speed??

Not worth taking a chance in my mind
Save the brass and bring them over, they will be centered when I'm done with them, and the critical thing is the hole drilled in the middle, not the primer pocket (unless it it too large).

In regards to unneeded improvements; there is so much money floating around out there, I am not sure how people haven't gone broke!

I realize the younger generation got a shot in the arm to their paychecks during covid once all the baby boomers retired and the younger folk were promoted....BUT every staple good is now 4X what it was 5 years ago!

I watch the amount of money being spent on the lake where I live and just shake my head....it isn't rational.
Try cruising around the Horse Farms in North Salem or Quaker Ridge ... you will just shake your head in disbelief. Just the annual RE taxes are more than most folks make!

Had leaf filter come and do an estimate for seamless gutters . Little over 90ft with downspouts included in that number . After their “discounts” the quote was $ 3200 . I actually laughed when he said that. Then the quote was 2100 for the screens . Told him thanks for the quote but no way in hell am I paying that much for gutters that are a completely straight run ,so two end caps and a downspout on each side of the house .

Do people actually pay that ?
I was given a quote about 3-4years ago that was close to $10k for gutter/screens etc. Probably 150 to 175ft total. I had it done later that summer for $1600 without the screens. I figure I could replace the gutters every 10yrs and still be money ahead.

And eventually there will be a boom :crazy2: that causes the house of cards to topple.,

And... back to scrounging...

Scrounged up this 24x36" welding table for $100 from my super secret supply place in an undisclosed location. Most of the stuff they have is large industrial size, but I found this tucked away behind them. The rest of the items he just threw in with the table for no cost - they sell by the pound so it would have only been a couple bucks. Met a buddy out there that I don't see very often, so it was good to catch up (and have an extra hand to load a 200 pound table.) I've wanted one for a long time and now that my daughter is taking welding classes I thought it was time to get it done. Forgive me if it ends up having flowers painted on it! :laughing:
20240906_123825.jpg

And... back to scrounging...

Scrounged up this 24x36" welding table for $100 from my super secret supply place in an undisclosed location. Most of the stuff they have is large industrial size, but I found this tucked away behind them. The rest of the items he just threw in with the table for no cost - they sell by the pound so it would have only been a couple bucks. Met a buddy out there that I don't see very often, so it was good to catch up (and have an extra hand to load a 200 pound table.) I've wanted one for a long time and now that my daughter is taking welding classes I thought it was time to get it done. Forgive me if it ends up having flowers painted on it! :laughing:
View attachment 1202939
Glad you found one for a good price. Been contemplating building a rolling one for out in the shop, unless I hit the lotto or can hit the scrap yard and find what I need before it goes through the shredder they arnt cheap to build. Even 2x2x 1/4 angle is stupid expensive these days, let alone a sheet of 1/4 or 3/8 plate for the top. Yikes!

Still needs the supports stripped off it, didn't have time this morning before work. Just pulled the first batch out, slid in the second plate and got another print running. (The rest of the horse skeleton for my wife.) The rest should be done when I get home. Then a few things for the printer need done. Ordered some asa filament, should arrive tomorrow. First time I'll be messing with it. Keen to see how it goes.

Attachments

• 20240906_053115.jpg
    20240906_053115.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I thought about getting one of those for a paint booth (I am painting several duck boats this fall) but figured screw it, a few leaves and seeds just add to the camo LOL.
I had a cheap, $10, Walmart tent that I sold on craigslist. The guy who bought it said that he was going to use it as a spray paint booth.

Good use.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back