Not sure what I'll do with this old 031AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jockeydeuce

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just took this old saw on trade for some 266 Husky parts. Haven't had time to check it out whatsoever, but when I looked at the bar and chain condition, there was enough value for what I was trading. I'm not much of a Stihl guy, but I sure have been ending up with a lot of them!!

I was looking back at old threads and it appears the ignition is weak on these old girls. For an old saw it doesn't have a bad "feel" to it.

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

Those are actually great saws. They are like the 028... they just feel more powerful than their displacement would lead you to believe. Nice sound too.

I would try to get it running. They are good saws. Heavy cause they are all metal. Decent anti vibe. Nothing compared to todays saws. Selling on ebay for 150 to 200 for nice ones. I like them. They have become a hobby of mine.:cheers:

Last edited:
They aren't the ones with the weak ignition.

It's the 032s that have that issue. If you clean that saw up, replace the clutch cover, and get it running you will enjoy running it.

The only reason I'm about to sell mine is I have 2 032s and I need the money to buy more saws.

how about a wheel chock?

I really think there are nicer old saws to play with, if it were me I would try to trade it for anything you can get, even some old 266 parts.

D

Keep it! They're fun little saws. Not the lightest or fastest, but tons of torque for 48cc. Not sure if you saw it when I posted it, but here's a vid of mine to show just what you can get done with a 50-cc saw if you need to:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0fjrDsLr_aE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0fjrDsLr_aE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's wearing a 20" 3/8 setup now and is much happier with that. I do have a few extra parts kicking around from when I combined the two broken saws into a good runner, so if you need something I might have a spare.

Back