026 Chain pitch preference

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ihave a 026 with a 16" bar.Its running a .312 pitch chain now would there be any advantage to going to a 3/8 pitch chain? I have a 3/8 bar,chain and sprocket i purchased on sale for another
saw i was wondering if i would gain anything by swapping.

david,
i have played with many 026's for stock saw competitions. i tried 3/8 low pro and 3/8. the saw runs best for work and play with .325, 16 inch, 50 gauge with a 8 tooth rim. a 7 tooth rim runs a bit slower but seems to run semi-chiesel very well.
3/8 takes to much away from the powerhead. and low-pro is a waste of power.
protect yourselves;marty

I got my 026 used. It came with .325 .063 safety chipper chain on an 18" bar. I got a few semi chisel chains without the safety links and noticed a big improvement in performance. Those safety links take up space in the cut that could be used to sweep chips out. I got my saw with an 18" bar but I'm sure Marty is right a, 16" is probably best. What exactly is .312 pitch?

Sedan I got mine used to the 311Y. It has that safety chain as well.If you buy a replacement chain from Stihl they donot come with the safeties on them I guess when selling a new saw it must be a liability issue.I had thought about putting a 20" 3/8 on it so it would use the same chains as my 036 but that would defeat the purpose i bought the saw for.

I've found the same as Marty. .325, 50G, 8 tooth rim OR 7 tooth Semi-chis. I hope that made sense, it is a National Holiday today (at least in my family).
Way off the subject but............

"May those who love us , love us. For those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts. If God cannot turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we know them by their limp!"

Happy St. Pats

Originally posted by DDM
Sedan I got mine used to the 311Y. It has that safety chain as well.If you buy a replacement chain from Stihl they donot come with the safeties on them I guess when selling a new saw it must be a liability issue.I had thought about putting a 20" 3/8 on it so it would use the same chains as my 036 but that would defeat the purpose i bought the saw for.

When I order rolls of chain from stihl, the RM2 designation means it comes with the safety links, RM doesn't, as in 26RM=no safety and 26RM2=safety
Same with 63PM (3/8 .50 low pro) 63PMI has safety rakers, 63PM doesn't

edit, i need to lern to spel

On my 026 w/16" bar I run a .325 rapid super chain(26rs-67) with no safty ties. I've found this cuts green wood really fast but would recommend the rapid micro chain for dead/dirty woods(oak..)-26rm2-67, the rs seems to dull alot faster also when cutting wood loke that.

Nubie question. What determines the choice of gauge for chain/bar? i.e. What performance difference (if any) will there be between a 50 gauge and 63 gauge set-up all else being equal?

Steve

PS - anyone else get thrown by the fact that the larger gauge chain is actually larger, when - in most of the cases I can think of - it is the opposite?

I had a New 16" .050 Bar and 3/8 pitch chain So i decided to put it on the saw.
It worked out well for me so i ordered 5 more chains from baileys. Hmmmmmm
Now i need to figure out how to modify that muffler.

I emailed and left messages for John Walker asking for prices and/or hints concerning the muffler on my 026Pro. Couldn't get any response on the forum or privately. I guess he doesn't want my business?:confused:

Why are none of the muffler 'experts' answering any of these muffler questions? :confused: :(

Treeclimber, I'm sure they want your business....but I think they're a little reluctant to give any hints and/or tips, if they do, you'll be "cuttin" into their business. Only my opinion.

Treeclimber..I cant say for John Walker, but I do know that personally I dont get a chance to read every single thread...and I also didnt see anything about "How to modify...?" I did just note that DDM had mentioned on figuring out how to do it...dont know when that was posted, but I just read this thread for the first time...I personally have never seen an 026 muffler to answer that question...you have to look at each different muffler independantly, then judge the best way to open it up.

If I also recall there was a fair number of comments and pictures on how to modify mufflers in other threads posted earlier...once again I think that situations like this could be helped by "sub forums" by topic...hopefully "sub forums" wouldnt slow the posts down, or cause people not to read in all areas...

Brian, Remove the 2 torx Bolts,Pull off the
Top piece,Remove the phillips screw,Snatch out the screen, You will notice there is a single lokks like a 3/8" hole in the center. I drilled a 5/16" hole above that one and one below. Took me all of 5 min and noticed improvement in performance. a little louder as well. Hmmmm wonder if any like muffler adj would help my 036 or 046?

026 .325

The smaller pulls through the wood easier so the motor keeps the revs up. More speed =faster cuts. A larger saw will pull the larger tooth with no problem. I have tried the 026 both ways. The .325 runs faster and the motor runs cooler. It is a proper sizing for power thing.

not to get to far off topic but..

I read a couple of the replies up top and the one about the safety chain...well i was just wondering does a safety chaind affect the performance of it because i am running a safety chain from stihl
thanks
Luke

The depth gauges or rakers do two things, control the size of the bite the cutter takes and sweep out chips. The safety tie straps take up space in the kerf that could be filled with chips. So in a way the safety chain will cut slower than comercial chain.

Thanks, David. I think I've read to drill 1 3/8" hole or 2 5/16" holes, I think that might be enough to get me started. I'll probably start out with a single smaller hole, test it and take it from there. :)

I have tryed both 3/8 and .325 on my 026 both running a 20" bar , i pull it fine with the 3/8 but i have to say the .325 dose cut faster, but not as durable.

Latest posts

Back