064 air filter part number confusion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeasaburt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,

quite a while ago I bought a Stihl 064 from a tree service. They put an oem 660 cylinder on it, and it ran well and strong when I tested it. I barely ran it, which might be a good thing...

Was looking at the IPL and I noticed I seem to have an air filtration part missing, the one with number 14 in this screenshot:

1721668371383.png

I started looking up part numbers, which didn't really help.

I took a picture:

064-filter-parts.jpg

The part top left, the actual air filter, has part number "1122 120 1621" (followed by "112") on it.
The baffle, bottom left, bears part number "1122 121 7006"
The air filter cover (which is made of metal, not plastic), on the right, bears part number "9 1122 141 1005"

The carb box' part number is behind the carb but I could make out "1121 121" , "DN 11496 211" and a letter 'a'.
I can remove the carb again if need be.

The metal baffle that goes on top of the carb (number 9 in the screenshot) has "1121 b" stamped into it.

Some of the part numbers I find in the IPL I have, others I don't.

Am I actually missing the 'pre filter', the mentioned part #14? (the IPL just calls it 'air filter').
If yes, would it fit into the filter cover I have?

Is it recommended to upgrade to the oval foam filters? (the HD filter system I believe it's called)? And if yes, which parts would I need? (I have an IPL, but I worry somewhat about compatibility issues, they sure changed/updated a lot during the production years of this model + changes were possibly made apart from the 660 cylinder)

The carb is an oem one from Walbro (also has the Stihl brand on it); it has "WJ41 L2" stamped into it.

Another issue I have is that the high idle/semi choke position of the master switch doesn't work. There's no throttle locking, also not in the choke position, and you can't put the saw in the high idle position, it just skips to 'on'. Maybe these issues are related?

Thx again for any advice/feedback!

Any specific reason the part that I do have, is black on your saw?

So I would basically need the the cover for the carb housing, the cover for the filter, and the filter itself, correct?

Thx for the info, also regarding oiled filters, I was wondering if all oval filters need oiling!

Also, is the newer filter base in your picture (+the filter itself) the only thing I need? Would the cover I have still fit? I can imagine the oval foam filter needs more space?

Thx for the info, also regarding oiled filters, I was wondering if all oval filters need oiling!
That is part of a “winter” kit I pulled out of my 064/066 parts box. No idea why the colors are different.
Yes, all you need to get going is that #14 filter to retain the 064 style filtration setup.
To upgrade you would need the parts shown in the lower portion of the pic you posted.

So I would basically need the the cover for the carb housing, the cover for the filter, and the filter itself, correct?

+ #18. Need that whole row of parts
Mainly, the filter base shown above…and the cover

Oops, my IPL has different #s :p

The early oval filters were all oiled but they were discontinued. I had them on my 066 until the newer filters came out.
If you go that route do NOT use the cheap aftermarket H2 clones! Stick with OE.
Some aftermarket parts seem to be ok-ish to use, in my (limited) experience, 'if need be' - and not all are equal of course. But I wouldn't easily buy an AM air filter, they are not terribly expensive oem and there's no reason to take risks with filtration...

eBay has the parts. Some kinda pricey :p
I have extra 066 filter bases and covers. I only have nos kits that contain the early 064 filters, however.
I usually look around online, including ebay, but also 'bartsparts' for nos and for aftermarket parts 'saegenspezi' from Germany... but also my local Stihl dealer, sometimes that's simply the best/cheapest option. And used parts on local marketplaces, etc...

I come across a lot of cool stuff from the States but often shipping costs make it a whole lot less interesting.

So I'm thinking I need parts # 15, 16, 17, 18, 22 and 23 from this screenshot, + the H2 filter? Or am I missing something?

View attachment 1192597
That ipl doesn't show the rubber gasket I pictured...it snaps into the filter base, #16.
15 is probably a carb gasket. 18 are the carb nuts...you have those.17, stud, would come with the filter base. 20 is a foam pre-filter, recommended but not essential. 19 is the H2 filter. 21 is another pre-filter, not really necessary, imo, unless you have really dusty conditions. 22, cover, should come with 23.

I usually look around online, including ebay, but also 'bartsparts' for nos and for aftermarket parts 'saegenspezi' from Germany... but also my local Stihl dealer, sometimes that's simply the best/cheapest option. And used parts on local marketplaces, etc...

I come across a lot of cool stuff from the States but often shipping costs make it a whole lot less interesting.
Ah, so you are not in the US.

That ipl doesn't show the rubber gasket I pictured...it snaps into the filter base, #16.
15 is probably a carb gasket. 18 are the carb nuts...you have those.17, stud, would come with the filter base. 20 is a foam pre-filter, recommended but not essential. 19 is the H2 filter. 21 is another pre-filter, not really necessary, imo, unless you have really dusty conditions. 22, cover, should come with 23.
Good point about the gasket, have to keep that in mind.

15 is the carb gasket indeed. Thx for the info on the other parts!

Latest posts

Back