064 Cylinder.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
would you run this cylinder in a saw you wasn't going to sell?
A pick tells me it is lower than the nicasil,so not transfer.
Thanks in advance,Chris.

Attachments

• 20240818_170929.jpg
    20240818_170929.jpg
    748.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240818_170917.jpg
    20240818_170917.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240818_170903.jpg
    20240818_170903.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
That is a fair amount of plating missing there. Would probably run but not sure for how/very long?

I'd be kind of afraid more plating might peal loose and start catching on a ring or the port.

If I gave it a try it would be with a well used or cheapo piston.

One more thought, you could take a used piston/rings, put some mix oil in the cyl, and try moving the rings past the bad spot, up and down by hand. Might tell if it's going to catch a ring right away.

If you try it keep us posted. Be interesting to see if it lasted long.

Couldn't be in a worse place.. The sides of the exhaust port (or any port) are what keep the rings from bulging into the port.
I don't think it would be much longer until it catches a ring on the upper or lower port edges. Personally I'd use it as a paperweight nothing more.

You pick flicked it yet?
Looks like there is a discolouration to the plating as far out again- where it might be ready to pop off some more and make the missing section twice as wide past the port.
Peel that off at 13,000 RPM and its going to get ugly.......

L34s 064.jpg

Do you think it is from a lean scored recovery and someone tried an acid clean- got some acid into the port and it went munching the raw exposed alloy at the coating bevel?

I'd be looking into putting a different cylinder on it, I'd put a cheap 660 cylinder on there before I'd run that OEM cylinder again. It might work but it's anyone's guess and just begging for trouble.

If you are using it get the lose off grind a little around the edge that is missing and put a meteor piston in. I ran one for years with a spot above that. I thought it would make compression low, but didn't affect much.

Done that before.
Haven't got a 064 to build just asking about this cylinder.
No history on it bloke just gave it to me.
Got ya, I wouldn't personally run just for the fact that when/if the plating gives it could destroy the bottom end.

Latest posts

Back