1986 Homelite Super XL questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22R

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all
I recently acquired a 86 Super XL. Had not run in years. Replaced the fuel line and it is good to go. Runs great and idles well.
Do people still use these today? Seems a crude beast next to my Stihl 025. Trying to decide if I wanna use it or make a wall hanger out if it. Any info or insight on it will be helpful.

22R

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpeg
    IMG_0304.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0302.jpeg
    IMG_0302.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0303.jpeg
    IMG_0303.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Shelf material, no AV and vibration will give you white finger. My FIL ran them for more than 20 years logging in Northern NS. I have a couple dozen of his older worn out units, they were a great saw in their time period. I still have one of the better shape units, blue and white, very little run time on it and always starts up with just a few pulls, not a saw I would run for extended periods, a tank of fuel now and then. I like my AV saws these days, the older solid mount saws are just not comfortable to run for hours on end.

I have three running Super XLs and enjoy them for the nostalgia. For my regular users, I prefer AV and, when in the woods where the footing may be poor, a chain brake. However, when I need a big saw, I grab my 1972 XL923 with a 31 inch bar but no AV or brake. It's a beast, but it gets the job done. It's like a Super XL on steroids! O

My Dad used a super XL automatic for years. That thing cut a LOT of wood, and some big trees. Dad had a 20 inch bar on it and ran it for years. I then used it for years as I got older and started cutting lot's of wood. Finally retired the old girl years ago. I think if I replaced the fuel line as well it would take right off and run like a dream. Have to pull her out of retirement. Always was a Strong good running saw.

Shelf material, no AV and vibration will give you white finger. My FIL ran them for more than 20 years logging in Northern NS. I have a couple dozen of his older worn out units, they were a great saw in their time period. I still have one of the better shape units, blue and white, very little run time on it and always starts up with just a few pulls, not a saw I would run for extended periods, a tank of fuel now and then. I like my AV saws these days, the older solid mount saws are just not comfortable to run for hours on end.

I used XLs a lot before I got my first Stihl. Was young and "white finger" was not on my radar.

Three years growing up I worked on a farm that was getting rehabilitated. I remember using an XL all day clearing overgrowth and brush. A few times the farmer asked why I'd stopped cutting? "We need more mix". "You used up 2-1/2 gallons".........

I also have a blue Homelite XL-101 that must be over 60 years old. It still runs and might be the noisiest stock chainsaw engine I have ever heard. The only flaw is a slight oil leak that I have never been able to seal, but that fails to cause any trouble when running. All metal and built like a tank. Still has good compression and power, runs fine on a 40:1 fuel mix. Truly a classic saw that I should give to Mark for his museum in Iowa.

I have my dad’s old XL from around 1986 or so, 20” bar , loud as hell and drinks 40:1 mix like there’s no tomorrow. I run it occasionally, but have 6 other saws in the stable to cut firewood with, will keep it in shape and never sell it. Thanks dad.

Latest posts

Back