1986 Homelite Super XL questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22R

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all
I recently acquired a 86 Super XL. Had not run in years. Replaced the fuel line and it is good to go. Runs great and idles well.
Do people still use these today? Seems a crude beast next to my Stihl 025. Trying to decide if I wanna use it or make a wall hanger out if it. Any info or insight on it will be helpful.

22R

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpeg
    IMG_0304.jpeg
    3 MB
  • IMG_0302.jpeg
    IMG_0302.jpeg
    2.9 MB
  • IMG_0303.jpeg
    IMG_0303.jpeg
    3.9 MB
Shelf material, no AV and vibration will give you white finger. My FIL ran them for more than 20 years logging in Northern NS. I have a couple dozen of his older worn out units, they were a great saw in their time period. I still have one of the better shape units, blue and white, very little run time on it and always starts up with just a few pulls, not a saw I would run for extended periods, a tank of fuel now and then. I like my AV saws these days, the older solid mount saws are just not comfortable to run for hours on end.

I have three running Super XLs and enjoy them for the nostalgia. For my regular users, I prefer AV and, when in the woods where the footing may be poor, a chain brake. However, when I need a big saw, I grab my 1972 XL923 with a 31 inch bar but no AV or brake. It's a beast, but it gets the job done. It's like a Super XL on steroids! O

My Dad used a super XL automatic for years. That thing cut a LOT of wood, and some big trees. Dad had a 20 inch bar on it and ran it for years. I then used it for years as I got older and started cutting lot's of wood. Finally retired the old girl years ago. I think if I replaced the fuel line as well it would take right off and run like a dream. Have to pull her out of retirement. Always was a Strong good running saw.

Shelf material, no AV and vibration will give you white finger. My FIL ran them for more than 20 years logging in Northern NS. I have a couple dozen of his older worn out units, they were a great saw in their time period. I still have one of the better shape units, blue and white, very little run time on it and always starts up with just a few pulls, not a saw I would run for extended periods, a tank of fuel now and then. I like my AV saws these days, the older solid mount saws are just not comfortable to run for hours on end.

I used XLs a lot before I got my first Stihl. Was young and "white finger" was not on my radar.

Three years growing up I worked on a farm that was getting rehabilitated. I remember using an XL all day clearing overgrowth and brush. A few times the farmer asked why I'd stopped cutting? "We need more mix". "You used up 2-1/2 gallons".........

I also have a blue Homelite XL-101 that must be over 60 years old. It still runs and might be the noisiest stock chainsaw engine I have ever heard. The only flaw is a slight oil leak that I have never been able to seal, but that fails to cause any trouble when running. All metal and built like a tank. Still has good compression and power, runs fine on a 40:1 fuel mix. Truly a classic saw that I should give to Mark for his museum in Iowa.

I have my dad’s old XL from around 1986 or so, 20” bar , loud as hell and drinks 40:1 mix like there’s no tomorrow. I run it occasionally, but have 6 other saws in the stable to cut firewood with, will keep it in shape and never sell it. Thanks dad.

I also have a blue Homelite XL-101 that must be over 60 years old. It still runs and might be the noisiest stock chainsaw engine I have ever heard. The only flaw is a slight oil leak that I have never been able to seal, but that fails to cause any trouble when running. All metal and built like a tank. Still has good compression and power, runs fine on a 40:1 fuel mix. Truly a classic saw that I should give to Mark for his museum in Iowa.
These saws are a little loud but they do have a muffler. Lots better than the older saws with just an exhaust stack.

I put a 30" bar on the SXL my dad gave me when he started downsizing. Its not quite powerful enough for a full comp chain and tends to load up if you don't go easy in the cuts. But that long bar is great for bucking and poking into brambles etc- it works well enough that I ordered an oregon full skip chain, thinking that will ease the loading a bit.

Yeah it sure is a lot louder than my little Echo- sure glad there are nice light saws for the limbs and small stuff :)

I've got an SXL "Big Red", I'm a big fan of the saw, has a great (loud) exhaust note. The lack of antivibe doesn't bother me a bit, most of my saws are non-av. The lack of a chainbrake makes me careful using it. Very torquey saw.

It's not a modern saw but I sure like using it, gets the job done and sounds cool in the process.

1000009887.jpg1000009886.jpg

1000015319.jpg

Showing the cheap clone bar I used to test the idea. The balance is great for bucking or at least low stuff, awkward for felling. Really like sweeping thru brambles with the top of the bar- keeps everything at a distance and pushes it away.

The bar is very much the wring mount so I made an adapter to match the studs and needed to increase the size of the bar adjust holes.but that got it done. The carb is in fine shape, starts easily and idles well. I did have to replace the fuel line and filter..

Back