2002 Log Splitter with 8hp Tecumseh - no spark.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR Hill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have the above log splitter which all of a sudden has no spark. Pulled the plug and it looked fine but I grabbed a new one. Before installing it I connected the wire and pulled the cord - no spark. OK, no big deal so its time to check the points for the first time. So I pull the shroud. The coil is on the outside of the flywheel. There is no wire going under the flywheel. Wha'huh? No points/condenser? I looked around on the beloved internet and couldn't find anything specific but a general reference to a "Magnetron Magneto." Whatever. I have worked on stuff that had a magneto but they still had points to control the timing. What the heck is this coil on the outside of the flywheel and no points or anything to control ignition timing? And I couldn't find anything for troubleshooting the 'coil'. Of course I can check the plug wire for an open. And I think I can check the secondary (kill wire) likewise. That's on my list for when I get back from town.

But there is zero troubleshooting info like resistance on the primary or secondary on the coil. But all kinds of posts about people who threw parts at a problem which doesn't lend itself to troubleshooting. And all of those had points, condenser, and an ignition cam and they were under the flywheel. So what's this thing of a magneto (on the outside of the flywheel) with no ignition points/condenser?!? Any specs other than an OPEN circuit? Dang, OEM parts are crazy expensive.

Any small engine guys out there who can explain or give some detail?

You have an engine with a magneto style electronic ignition.
Most small engines made in the past 30 or so years have a similar setup. I don't think I've seen points on a small engine since the late 80's/early 90's.
If you can verify the kill wire isn't grounding out, you likely need to replace the ignition coil.
They are all over on eBay and other online sources for $15-20

Thanks folks. The manual explained a bunch, esp the diagram of the CDI unit. First up is some checking with the Fluke. Next up is to clean up a bunch of rust including cleaning up the mag, remounting and gaping it, etc. I did see the OEM replacement at Jack's for $60 or so.... Josh, I appreciate the eBay reference and if needed I'll try looking for a decent part that isn't a junk knock off.

I have fallen behind, for sure. BTW, my first regular paycheck was working for a small engine shop in Omaha where I ran the parts dept and we were parts distributors to many other shops. I fixed a lot of stuff too but they brought me upstairs to sales and parts. I learnt a lot while there and the owners sure kicked my rear a few times to help me grow up. A lot of good memories there.

Engines of this type haven't had points for 40 years.
Disconnect the ground wire on the coil.
Check for spark.
If you do not have spark you need a new coil.
If you have spark, you need to troubleshoot the ground wire circuit to find the shorted wire or faulty switch.
That's all there is to it.

Well, one more thing. You need to pull the engine over with the starter to insure a good spark.
The old points engines would start sometimes just by giving the flywheel a flip by hand.
The newer ignition systems need some RPM's to produce a spark.

Ohm check of the magneto shows 6+ mOhms which is basically an open circuit. And the laminations on their end closest to the flywheel have rusted to the point that the individual pieces are spreading apart. The part is dead so I've got it on the to-do list to find the replacement.

Ohm check of the magneto shows 6+ mOhms which is basically an open circuit. And the laminations on their end closest to the flywheel have rusted to the point that the individual pieces are spreading apart. The part is dead so I've got it on the to-do list to find the replacement.
Just an FYI, Tecumseh went out of business about 15-16 years ago.
Some OEM parts are still around, but getting more and more scarce.
I have ran a couple of the aftermarket ones from eBay and Amazon and they seem to work fine.

$14 w/free shipping. If it has technology built into it so the Chinese can monitor my log splitting they are out-of-luck as there's no cell signal here.

Thanks all for the help and pointers!

Back