261 Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber1990

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My name is George, I’m new to the forum. I have a Stihl ms 261 with the adjustable carb. I ordered a tsumara light bar 18” for my saw and got the 3/8 chain to fit the bar. And of course my saw is not 3/8 it’s .325. So I ordered the 3/8 sprocket kit from stihl. Is that all that is needed to switch to 3/8 from .325? Also I ordered a Egan exhaust, when I put the exhaust on am I going to need to adjust carb? I put an Egan on my echo 355t and it seemed to run fine without adjusting the carb? Any input would be appreciated!!
Best Wishes

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image000001.jpeg
    image000001.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1978.mov
    47.7 MB
My name is George, I’m new to the forum. I have a Stihl ms 261 with the adjustable carb. I ordered a tsumara light bar 18” for my saw and got the 3/8 chain to fit the bar. And of course my saw is not 3/8 it’s .325. So I ordered the 3/8 sprocket kit from stihl. Is that all that is needed to switch to 3/8 from .325? Also I ordered a Egan exhaust, when I put the exhaust on am I going to need to adjust carb? I put an Egan on my echo 355t and it seemed to run fine without adjusting the carb? Any input would be appreciated!!
Best Wishes
Yes, that should be all you need. Bar, chain and sprocket must match.
Also yes: you should adjust the carb. Vintage engine repairs has good info on YouTube on how to do it. Maybe invest in a tach, the cheap ones from fleebay or Amazon are good enough.

Best Wishes
I'm assuming you bought the Egan Performance “header pipe" for your 261, I put one on mine and like it so far (wear ear plugs!). I found that I had to make fairly big adjustments to the carb on mine to get it right. I also bought a modded muffler from them for my 026 but the adjustments were less than for the 261. If you don't have a tach I highly suggest getting one, it makes things much easier and more accurate than going by 'ear'. They're not very expensive and it definitely makes carb adjustment quicker.

Back