372-385 hybred

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdhotsaw2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello ABS guys,
This post is about a hybred 372 saw i've working on . we took a 372 barrel and bored it out 2mm to make it 52mm bore diameter, sent it to US CHROME in winconsin, had it replated and diamond-honed to 52 mm and then used a larger piston and wound up with a 4.7 ci 372 i it made for a really strong 372 the cutting times were as follows. did not have a before time as the barrels were sent to me first unassembled,
372,2mm o.s barrel,16 inch bar 13 inch log 2.9seconds
372,2mm o,s barrel, 16 inch bar 8 inch cant, 1.09 seconds

Now here is the interesting part, they also had me modify a new 357 husky and it also was delivered to me apart so there is no before times but after all the mods it cut as follows;
357, 16 inch bar and chain 13 inch log, 3.44 seconds
357, 16 inch bar and chain 8 inch cant 1.58 seconds
now those are very fast times on the 357 husky. I think i'll have to buy on to play some more with.
ken
[email protected]
530-589-2744

Ken,

Those are some really good times for those saw's.So do you plan on doing something like that to a 385 soon I would love to see that...:D

Later Rob...

372 hybrid

Hello Huskyman,
those two overbored barrel saws and the 357 had my modified mufflers to let them breath a bit better. the 357 muffler has a shield inside you must open up and also must make the outlet bigger.
ken

385 woods saw

Hello stihl magnum(rob),
I've done a number of 385 huskys, they have impressive power gains, a bit over 50 %. You have to do a lot of work to the piston to get the maximum air flow, but they do run when your finished with them. The fallers I did the 372 hybrid barrels for also have my 385 modified saws but they like the 372's better in steep ground because of the weight.they also dont like the handles on the 385. thats why they tried the 372 hybrid. some times on the 385's
24 inch pine log, 385, 19.58 seconds before mods
24 inch log 385, 11.44 seconds after mods

P.s They also brought me two 288 huskys to modify for them, they said they were there alltime favorites and hope they will be faster than the 385's, we will see

ken

Thanks Ken thats what I wanted to hear.A few of my friends have 288's and love them they won't try anything else they like emso much I'll have to let them try my 385:D Good numbers though..

Later Rob..

dang ,those times are just unimaginable to this old southern boy.im assuming this is diameter..some o these days.

KDhotsaw2,

I have a jug I'd like to have restored. How do I get in touch with US CHROME? The jug I have is for a Jonsey 49SP which is unavailable new so it's worth the effort to have it re-chromed.

US CHROME ADDRESS

Hello sedanman,
Here is the address of USCHROME. I'm Happy with the workThey did for me ,
US CHROME
650 oak park avenue
PO box1536
Fond Dulac Wisconson
54936-1535

920-922-5066--- ask for Scott Reath

372 hybrid

Hello Tony,
Not a willow, 1 year digger pine so its getting dry thats the same log we got the times with your 2159 jonsered. that 357 is basically the same saw as the 2157 but it has a 1mm smaller bore, but that little puppy flat cuts.
ken

full circle crank

Tony- ken again,
the only other different on the357 husky to the2159 jonsered is the crankshaft. the 357 has 2 round steel shields around the crank cheeks making the crank a full circle crank. the port timing and squish are the same. maybe this accounts for the difference.

did have a nice square filed on both of them.
ken

"372,2mm o,s barrel, 16 inch bar 8 inch cant, 1.09 seconds"

how much does this cost Ken? and is it worth it instead of getting a tuned 385?:confused:

372 hybrid

Hello tundraotto,
the machine work boring each barrel was 120.00, the nicisil plating was 120.00 and modifing the saw and barrel was 300.00. they called me tonight and said they thought the saws were as fast as the 385's i built for them a while back. but my cutting times show the 385 to be faster. they like the lighter weight of the 372 chassis. they left me two 288's to do the same mods to, bore them out, replate and install a 56 mm piston out of a 394 husky. I suggested they purchase a 394 but they want the 288 because its lighter and better balanced. I think they just want something different for the other fallers to drool over.
ken

Hello Ken, I find this recent work of yours fasanating! i sorta think of it as wildcating . who knows what is possible ? A little off subject but look what they created when they took a 327 smallblock and put the stroke of a 283 in it the 302 z28 camero was born, puttin a shovel top on a pan bottom ---- however the 288 with a 394 bore sounds ausume for shure to be a Muscle Saw ! please keep usposted on it's progress.

Thats a interesting idea, Ken. I have big bored some mx bikes and snowmobiles with good results. The only problem I see with doing it in a saw is the shifting of the powerband lower in the rpm range. A big bore would make for a stump puller of a saw, but I bet cutting speed would suffer do to the lower shifted power curve. I suppose you could negate the downward shift in power by opening up the transfers, but from what I understand saws have pretty small transfer to begin with so there is limited room for improvement in this area. bTW some one mentioned the need to get there cylinder "rechromed". Hard chromeium as a plateing material stinks. The nickel/silcone matrix coatings available to day are much better with respect to wear and adhesion.

B walker,

Solution for lowering the power bad is gearing up the saw. Instead of a 7 or 8 tooth sproket, go to a 10 or 11 tooth. Its just a thought.

Confused, Yes you could take advantage of more torque by gearing up. The problem is there is not that much more torque being produced with an increase as small as we are talking about, but the torque curve is shifted down the rpm scale. Gearing is really just a bandaid fix. Also consider the effect that a couple thousand rpm has on the final gearing of the saw and chain speed. A much bigger effect than adding a tooth to the sprocket.

Latest posts

Back