372xp cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhys272

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought this saw recently and silly me didn't check it over thoroughly. Guy said it was in perfect shape Yada Yada. Anyways turns out that there is major scoring on the piston, I have already ordered a meteor replacement. My big concern is in trying to salvage the cylinder, I am using muriatic acid and Scotch pads as well as 3000 grit sandpaper. Hoping you could give me your opinions on the cylinder condition since I have no real experience in this department. The attached pics are its current state after a bunch of acid and scrubbing sessions.

Attachments

• 20240623_181759.jpg
    20240623_181759.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240623_181726.jpg
    20240623_181726.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240623_181711.jpg
    20240623_181711.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Always pull the muffler and check the piston when checking out a saw. The cylinder is borderline, for $230 you can get a brand new OEM piston and cylinder or you could use the one you have with that meteor piston and run it like that.

I'd be more concerned with what caused the scoring in the first place before installing a new cylinder on the saw .
Install new seals and do a P/V test before running it .

Ernie

It looks like you have the transfer removed. But it does look as if the cylinder roof has some interference in the one side. There is a line through the carbon or did you do that while cleaning? I would now soak in hor water and heavy Dawn dish soap to help remove all the carbon from the exhaust port that is flaking. Discoloration, carbon streaking is generally ok as long as there is no transfer in it and you can't catch a fingernail across the mark. Always check you squish on e reassemble to verify proper roof to piston top clearances with some solder. Just repost when ready someone will respond. Minimum clearances should be .018-.020".

So, there is a small chip in the nikasil is that going to render the cylinder unserviceable?

Attachments

• 17193222353598580641899414629021.jpg
    12.1 MB · Views: 0
I have a really good condition p&c im looking to see if anybody would pay anything for. Oh it's the 51.4 mm one too if that entices anyone it's OEM. Im pretty sure the guy who had the xpw blew up the bearings then rebuilt the whole saw OEM but the bearings ate up the inside of the case so even with the new bearings all around and seals had very little compression and was breezy as a cabin with no Chink but would still run decent until in the wood. Anywho I have a entire 372xpw in parts, saw you were talking about top end.

Latest posts

Back