Another veneer focused logger & video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird, in my neck of the woods veneer means large softwood. Blocks are conditioned for a couple days, spun on their axis in lathes and peeled into long ribons, then clipped to size for plywood production. The cores get planed down on two sides for landscape ties.

My wife is a cabinet maker, so I'm obviously aware that hardwood veneers get used to pretty things up, seems like it would have to be a totaly different process though.

Weird, in my neck of the woods veneer means large softwood. Blocks are conditioned for a couple days, spun on their axis in lathes and peeled into long ribons, then clipped to size for plywood production. The cores get planed down on two sides for landscape ties.

My wife is a cabinet maker, so I'm obviously aware that hardwood veneers get used to pretty things up, seems like it would have to be a totaly different process though.
And of course that is the point, while many "neck of the woods" have things in common, the logging world is a big place, What's practice in Sweden might have common characteristics to other soft wood forests. What's practice in the hardwoods of the Northeast with Michigan. But with different species , markets, and even differences within similar species there isn't a one practice that fits all scenarios be it felling or selling priorities. For me an example is watching how "maple" seems to show on YouTube from the PNW is way different than the hard maple I fell out here. One seems to break clean the other ( here ) will fiber pull it's heart out given the chance. Some may be seasonal possibly late fall into winter vs. summer. Regardless of the reason, different felling "practice" one to the other is simply common sense to work to how the differences manifest.

I really don't know. We have a variety of mills right local, a smaller band mill operation about a mile from the farm, they don't peel , its like an over grown band saw mill with some level of automation, They do custom work for the local builders. Two "larger" commercial mills, one does the soft wood and peels as you described. The other also can peel with an over grown lathe but from what I understand it's completely dependent on the order, they don't have a customer & setup that is just stable week in week out and have to flex to the orders. Most of what I have sold them prolly doesn't even get processed here as they go into the buyers "resale" program and get sent to parts unknown. The "lower" quality is turned into railroad ties.

Back