455 rancher help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewT

Reaction score
So I find a 455 Rancher at a yard sale that looks like it has had very little use. Try not to show my interest too much and ask "how much for the saw?" They respond $25.00 !! So I take it. I have been borrowing a friends 455 as a back up when I'm in the woods and find it a capable saw so extremely happy to find such a lightly used saw for such a great price. Well, I get it home and it is a 2013 455 Rancher Autotune!!! From what i can find out it is a fairly rare bird with maybe a half year production life !! My local Husqvarna dealer plugs it in and down loads latest updates ( only 15.3 hrs. run time ) then says lets go out and start it. Will not start, they keep it for inspection, diagnosis is flooding like crazy !! fix is new carb, new ignition and fuel lines with grommets, cost about 315.00 !! Soooo, my questions is; since this is an odd ball saw does anyone have much experience with it? Will a in depth carb cleaning fix flooding or is the flooding electronically caused ?
thx in advance
Andrew

I guess a new carb is cheaper in labor than rebuilding a carb???
Said that Husqvarna recommended carb and coil be replaced as a pair.

He sdaid, and you said. Imagine you are the saw tech, and make your money doing actual service work. I walk in with that excitable story, and $25 is blurted out. You would see an opportunity, to get some dandy service work, and make lots of cheddar.

Get a new carb, with the return policy, and simply try that? A coil is like a light bulb,,,,,,do you change all the bulbs inb your bathroom, when you fix a leaky facet?

I've watched tons of repair video's, mostly Husqvarna at nausem. If OEM carb is causing issues it is rebuilt. Never seen where the coil must be replaced automatically.

I have worked on some of these.
There is a reason to replace both. I have a good Husqvarna dealership I consult with.
Don't beat up a tech because the internet said so, therefore it must be true.
Yes it was 25 dollars at a yard sale. There is usually a reason for that.
Always ask how much do you want to spend?
This is why these things usually get sent away.

y

I guess a new carb is cheaper in labor than rebuilding a carb???
Said that Husqvarna recommended carb and coil be replaced as a pair.
How much do you have invested into this saw currently?
Around here great condition 455's go for $300 to $400 depending on seller motivation. These are newer saws, like 2020-2023 ready for work.

Dumb question time, but what happens if you just turn it back into a "normal" saw? (There are some of us who find we have no use for "auto-tune" -- even though we like now basic things like electronic ignition, and, depending, kinda go with things like injection.) basic 455 parts generally not too hard to come by. 455s (I have a couple) basically reliable, run well, good strength, practical size...

Hmmm. The testimony so far is about "flooded" (fuel all over the place) -- Answer probably not adding more fuel to carb. Plug may be fouled -- so pull plug and clean... Aaaand... maybe flooding issue is just a cheap carb needle.... BUT, again, fuel in these controlled by solenoid, solenoid controlled by electronics, etc.
And again... overall the 455 has a lot to recommend it. The "auto-tune" system (particularly the early system) ... not so much. And it adds complication. While, in most cases, not providing a saw that actually runs better than the saw as tuned, etc. by a human.

I have worked on some of these.
There is a reason to replace both. I have a good Husqvarna dealership I consult with.
Don't beat up a tech because the internet said so, therefore it must be true.
Yes it was 25 dollars at a yard sale. There is usually a reason for that.
Always ask how much do you want to spend?
This is why these things usually get sent away.

y
The last couple of these that I've played with wound up needing new coils...Mark H had the same problem, lately.
I'd buy the parts from that dealer and learn how to do the installation.

Thx for all advice. I have carb rebuild kit on the way, back ordered until end of September. Hopefully that and some new grommets/ fuel line will stop flooding!

Back