511A Grinder - Improvements / Tweaks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUMP!

This photo is from an Oregon Disaster Response trailer: company reps and dealers show up at large scale disasters, sharpening chains for free, etc.

I noticed that they ran some bolts through unused mounting holes to use as hangers for chain loops.

My portable stand mounted grinders will have that accessory soon!

IMG_8154.jpegPhilbert

I have a quick question. What is the best way to remove the axle that holds the heavy return spring that controls the vertical movement of the sharpener/motor/grinding wheel? My second one snapped today after about six years of work. I replaced the first one but cannot remember how I successfully removed the axle that holds the heavy spring (G042).
1729554337224.png

It looks like a simple press fit that I can carefully hammer out, but I want to be sure. Also if you take a look at post #244 on this thread. My shop-made invention is back in action today as I await the new spring that I ordered. TIA.

I have a quick question. What is the best way to remove the axle that holds the heavy return spring that controls the vertical movement of the sharpener/motor/grinding wheel? My second one snapped today after about six years of work. I replaced the first one but cannot remember how I successfully removed the axle that holds the heavy spring (G042).
View attachment 1213176

It looks like a simple press fit that I can carefully hammer out, but I want to be sure. Also if you take a look at post #244 on this thread. My shop-made invention is back in action today as I await the new spring that I ordered. TIA.
I just use a long punch and hammer.
Just swapped my 3rd spring in maybe a year 🙄

I just use a long punch and hammer.
Just swapped my 3rd spring in maybe a year 🙄
The temporary device I made as shown in post #244 works surprisingly well, but the counterweight (a 5-lb splitting wedge) has to be the right weight. I first tried a 4-lb sledge hammer, and that was not quite enough. The idea is have enough weight to pull the motor assembly up but if it's too light, there is too much force leading down to the cutter. It has to be a balanced give and take.

The temporary device I made as shown in post #244 works surprisingly well, but the counterweight (a 5-lb splitting wedge) has to be the right weight. I first tried a 4-lb sledge hammer, and that was not quite enough. The idea is have enough weight to pull the motor assembly up but if it's too light, there is too much force leading down to the cutter. It has to be a balanced give and take.
Creative, adaptive use if indigenous materials!

Philbert

Latest posts

Back