A newbie Stihl question, or maybe several. Stihl 031AV and 038AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sshangreaujr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've used chainsaws since I was a kid, cutting firewood with/for my dad and grandpa mostly. Anyway, besides using them casually for 20+ years, I really don't know much about them. In fact, before a month ago, I've never owned my own chainsaw. Now I do. I would like to learn more and this site keeps popping up on my google searches. Thanks guys! I've already got a wealth of information from older posts.

Anyway, I recently got two used chainsaws, Stihl models 031AV and 038AV. Got them dirt cheap. $50 for the 038 and $75 for the 031. They are both old saws, obviously, but the Stihl 031 AV looks barely used. Only a few MINOR cosmetic blemishes and it runs very well other than being hard to start. The 038 is "newer" (or maybe "more recently made" would be a better term) but is the more used of the two saws. They both start, run, and cut well. However, I would like to learn more about them (and chainsaws in general for that matter) as I really like both saws and would like to tune them up when necessary, maintain them properly, and keep them both running as long as I can.

I ordered a manual from Stihlusa.com for the 031 (which I have not received yet) and found a pdf owner's manual and a service manual for the 038. The service manual for the 038 shows an expanded view of the air filter and lists several different part numbers for each part. Should I and how do I order a complete replacement air filter aside from ordering all the parts separately?

I guess maybe I'm not sure what my questions should be at this point. Where do I start guys? Where is the best place to order Stihl parts from and what should I order first. Thanks again in advance.

Thanks in advance.

I'll jump in here a little, there will be more knowledgeable members than me jump in later (bump)

Both are great saws. The 038 is one of my favorites.

On the filters there is numbers for wire mesh and numbers for fleece (flocked), One of the numbers for the filter will be the air filter assembly. You can try your local dealer for the filter not sure if they are no longer availabe or not, I got an aftermarket filter from a member here. Just search google for 038 air filter.

Welcome to AS! I hope you have storage space, because finding running saws at those prices leads to more... :laugh:

On older saws like that, I always inspect the rubber fuel components carefully, and usually replace them. The lines go soft after a while, and a pinhole leak can cause major damage. It's no fun knowing the saw was running great and you trashed it by not replacing simple parts. Pick the dirtier saw to go into first, leaving the other a running saw. Clean it thoroughly and inspect it carefully for damage. You can learn a bunch by looking at what you have and searching here. TONS of help here.

Good luck!

PM me your email address and I'll send you the Illustrated Parts Lists (IPL) for both of those saws. I'll do it when I get home from work today. The IPL is an exploded parts view with part numbers.

99% of the dealers will not have parts available for either of the saws. If they do... it'll be on some dusty shelf in the back. The 032 was discontinued before the 038, and the 038 was gone in the mid 80's.

There are some aftermarket parts available through some of the site sponsors. Also... if your looking for NLA (No Longer Available) factory parts, or factory used parts... check some of the site sponsors on here, or on ebay. That will be about the only options you have for parts.

Gary

I thank you guys so much. When I was a kid I was a bit of a car mechanic. Old Chevy's mostly. I loved it but, unfortunately, life got in the way and I stopped doing it. Anyway, now I want to learn about chainsaws. I love figuring out how things work and fixing them. I work on computers now. They're nothing like chainsaws or cars so far as how they work but the logic is the same. Every part has a job to do and they all need to be functioning together and working properly for the machine to run. Anyway I thank you again. A few nudges in the right direction from you gentlemen and I'm going to take off running with my new-found chainsaw knowledge. Thanks guys!

Back