Advice on a Stihl 021 with a melted case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John from Cle Elum

At some point a decision will have to be made.
Reaction score
I have a couple of 021's. They do 95% of my clearing work. I like the power, weight and reliability. One melted the case near the chain brake, presumably from a dragging brake. I hear this is common. It runs fine but the chain oiler can't be made to work. I had a look and it is trashed. There are a number of new case assemblies available on Amazon for about $30 and it looks like they all came from the same factory. The miracle of $3/day asian labor. They include tension adjusters, oil pump, fuel/oil lines and seem pretty complete. The reviews are ok, but not slam dunk 5 star (4+). Generally I am skeptical of Amazon reviews anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/SaferCCTV-Cr...9008936&sprefix=stihl+021+tank,aps,148&sr=8-4

Has anyone had any experience with these type of plastic assembles? Is it worth the time and effort to make the repair? My experience with Chinese after market parts has been good and bad. If I could find a genuine replacement part I would consider it if it was reasonably priced. But I can't find one and it would probably exceed the value of the saw.

Thanks for any advice or opinions
John

Latest posts

Back