Advice on a Stihl 021 with a melted case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John from Cle Elum

At some point a decision will have to be made.
Reaction score
I have a couple of 021's. They do 95% of my clearing work. I like the power, weight and reliability. One melted the case near the chain brake, presumably from a dragging brake. I hear this is common. It runs fine but the chain oiler can't be made to work. I had a look and it is trashed. There are a number of new case assemblies available on Amazon for about $30 and it looks like they all came from the same factory. The miracle of $3/day asian labor. They include tension adjusters, oil pump, fuel/oil lines and seem pretty complete. The reviews are ok, but not slam dunk 5 star (4+). Generally I am skeptical of Amazon reviews anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/SaferCCTV-Crankcase-Chainsaw-Replacement-11230203003/dp/B01MF5YQV0/ref=sr_1_4?crid=26LGP2EIBH9U4&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.OLrp11EUlOlOHcup1qyls3sgXI_dMbQr4_pULyNDshc0tvfCevJtMEhMJ_Ee9NSDZ10Of4P8gXXks3B8lrW_lKjj4H2YkiAI-42umbIxY5uwbOsZT1NDb_aZcc_N91Um6Eja4xXvNYuwCT0v8Z51TsN1iuI6-laDERC_bPVX_xh1Wfr_k5LGzHbdak_H6pA2cQ4bNZRFKb26PBG6qO6FJEfTLOZhq-LD5oH9WOt8VUY.5S9W6lq5wTkYC1XJPWOMIdVoD-72DeyfKzTQKMHhlI0&dib_tag=se&keywords=stihl+021+gas+tank&qid=1729008936&sprefix=stihl+021+tank,aps,148&sr=8-4

Has anyone had any experience with these type of plastic assembles? Is it worth the time and effort to make the repair? My experience with Chinese after market parts has been good and bad. If I could find a genuine replacement part I would consider it if it was reasonably priced. But I can't find one and it would probably exceed the value of the saw.

Thanks for any advice or opinions
John

Yeah, I have seen those also. About the same cost. It is hard to tell the condition from the pictures. I have bought used junk off of EBay also. It was always hard getting a refund. In some cases return shipping charges make it uneconomical.

But it is another option. Thanks for the input.

"Parts listed as "Used" on Ebay are supposed to be in completely functional condition."

Completely functional is difficult argue. I am not sure if that is enforceable. I have never had to try.

"Return shipping is on the seller if the part is defective or not as advertised."

The return policy is up to the seller.

I have only had to get refunds from Ebay/PayPal a couple of times. It was a problem every time.

I would much rather go through Amazon. Returns have never been a problem, refund is immediate. I have only had to return a couple of items. I may just get the part from Amazon and take a good, hard look at it before installing. If that doesn't work out I may try ebay.

I was really hoping to hear from someone with first hand experience with this particular part or type of part.

Usually the problem with those saws is the clutch drum bearing comes apart and the drum gets against the case and melts it.

So, any saw. Check that drum bearing periodically.
All that will be replaced. The bearing looked ok. The drum looked ok. Regardless it trashed the case and oil pump on chain side.

"Parts listed as "Used" on Ebay are supposed to be in completely functional condition."

Completely functional is difficult argue. I am not sure if that is enforceable. I have never had to try.
You don't have to argue. Just open a "Not As Described" return. Ebay sends you a label and you send the item back. Wen the Item is delivered to the seller you get your refund.

"Return shipping is on the seller if the part is defective or not as advertised."

The return policy is up to the seller.
NO it is NOT for a defective i.e. not as described item.

Ebay doesn't arbitrate these cases and will always side with the buyer.

I have had issues with 3 items bought off Ebay. None went nearly as smooth as you describe. I don't think they refunded shipping in either direction with any of the problems. "30 days returns. Buyer pays for return shipping" seems to be as common as "Returns not Accepted". I stay away from Ebay because the past problems. Maybe the policies have changed since my last problem.

If the aftermarket doesn't work out I will try a used one from Ebay.

Re; Ebay returns
I agree with SteveSr regarding returning defective items on ebay.
Go to "Purchase History" and find the item in question.
From the menu on the right, click on "more actions"
Click on "return item" and fill out the form.
You will get a prepaid shipping label to return your defective item.
It takes a little longer than Amazon, but you should get all your money back including sales tax if applicable and don't pay return shipping.

Ebay wants you to "work with the seller" because ebay doesn't want to refund your money that they have.
Your State has your sales tax (where applicable) and doesn't want to refund it.
The seller doesn't want to refund your money because they don't have all of it, they are already out the shipping cost, sales tax and ebay's cut of the action.
Opening a case through ebay cuts through all the bs and gets you a refund. This works for defective and not as advertised items, not sure about returning items just because you changed your mind.

Back