Advice on painting a stihl bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregsl

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure my bar is in decent shape and figured I'd refinish it rather than by a new one.

Anyone have any experience refinishing bars?

What type of paint? Primer? Paint color for stihl bar etc.

G

I've found Krylon appliance epoxy to be the best rattle can paint for bars, I prime with rattle can lacquer primer. The epoxy white is bit whiter then Stihl white but close enough.

Degrease really really well... primer with high quality self etching primer and 4 light coats of clear.

Degrease really really well... primer with high quality self etching primer and 4 light coats of clear.

I have it sitting in a wallpapering tray of purple power right now.

Will look into etching primer as well as epoxy spray as above

Gotta keep the costs low or else I might as well buy a new bar.

Will post some before and after pics if there's any interest

I repaint some bars before selling. It seems stupid but people do buy based on astetic appeal. Stripping old paint with a belt sander is easy and then the new coat of paint goes on easy and smooth. Also shelf queen saws need purdy bars.

I repaint some bars before selling. It seems stupid but people do buy based on astetic appeal. Stripping old paint with a belt sander is easy and then the new coat of paint goes on easy and smooth. Also shelf queen saws need purdy bars.

A repainted bar turns me off on a used saw. Just makes me think the actual condition is being concealed. Not saying it is, just my thoughts on it. A shelf queen would be a different situation.

When people have a pic of a Stihl saw with 1/3 of the paint worn off the bar and say it only has 8 tanks of gas through it I call BS. Anyway, my son's Husky 455 wore the writing off the bar in very short order indeed. Whether someone likes Stihl saws or not, there can be no dispute that whatever coating they put on their bars outlasts every other manufacturers products.

It has been years but I bought some bake on paint from Brownells, the gunsmith suppliers. No idea if or which sponsors might offer similar paint. It was far tougher and more heat resistant than expected. It even held up on the compensator of a pistol shooting hot loads. I don't know what colors it is available in now but if I just wanted to run a painted bar for protection I think I would give it a shot. Of course discretion being the better part of valor you probably want to sneak it in the oven when the boss isn't home. A barbecue pit with thermometer would work too. Best I remember bake time was just twenty minutes or so and the temperature wasn't that hot, maybe two-something? Seems like I remember them coming out with a Teflon version too, might be nice on bars.

Hu

STIHL saws look good with black bars. I use high temp paint then bake them at 450 deg. for an hour, then rub them with a clean rag to shine it a little.

Latest posts

Back