Altec aa755l review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zstroken

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking into the options of purchasing a bucket truck, versus renting. My rational for purchasing is we have 5 acres and numerous tall trees(50ft or so). I have ran a chainsaw for years and dropped many a tree, however I am too the point of the trees on my property are just larger than I feel comfortable lift "dropping from the ground". I feel I can spend in the $10K range purchase a truck(yes some maintenance is required) but have ample time to drop the trees and clean up(approximately a year) then hopefully sell the truck for a few thousand dollars less. I have found a truck relatively local that has the ALTEC AA755L. Any review for this, what things to look for? It is on a 2007 International 4400. It has a DT466 in it.

Hello, I am looking into the options of purchasing a bucket truck, versus renting. My rational for purchasing is we have 5 acres and numerous tall trees(50ft or so). I have ran a chainsaw for years and dropped many a tree, however I am too the point of the trees on my property are just larger than I feel comfortable lift "dropping from the ground". I feel I can spend in the $10K range purchase a truck(yes some maintenance is required) but have ample time to drop the trees and clean up(approximately a year) then hopefully sell the truck for a few thousand dollars less. I have found a truck relatively local that has the ALTEC AA755L. Any review for this, what things to look for? It is on a 2007 International 4400. It has a DT466 in it.
10K? That would be the maintenance on a Bucket Truck! I would be terrified to fly a 10K rig! go rent a towable lift.

10K? That would be the maintenance on a Bucket Truck! I would be terrified to fly a 10K rig! go rent a towable lift.
I am curious why you say $10K would be the maintenance cost. I have seen lifts in the $10K-$20K range that are in the 10 to 15 year old range, and seem to be in relatively good shape. Of course I am seeing them in the $30K range as well. For maintenance, I would anticipate oil change, hydraulic filter/oil change, greasing those should run in the $1K range on the high end. Where is the $10K for maintenance coming? One reason I am not looking at the towable lifts is the ones I have found are only 50 ft. I really would like to get into the 60ft range.

I am curious why you say $10K would be the maintenance cost. I have seen lifts in the $10K-$20K range that are in the 10 to 15 year old range, and seem to be in relatively good shape. Of course I am seeing them in the $30K range as well. For maintenance, I would anticipate oil change, hydraulic filter/oil change, greasing those should run in the $1K range on the high end. Where is the $10K for maintenance coming? One reason I am not looking at the towable lifts is the ones I have found are only 50 ft. I really would like to get into the 60ft range.
Around here, a 10 K rig is 25-30 years old and unsafe to operate. OK, to clarify, 10K in repairs if you get a lift that you miss something and is found out later. Check how much play is in the main rotation bearings where the boom mounts to the turret and rotates. Put the lift all the way up 12 0clock position while you man the lower controls and stop it dead, then rock it and see how much play is in there. That is an expensive repair right there. Then there is the diesel engine and transmission you should have a good mechanic look at also. Are you talking about Electric company trucks, not Arborist trucks, because that would explain the cheap prices?

One of my friends has a self propelled (propane fired JLG) and it has a 65 foot stick on it and I believe he bought it used at a Richie Brothers machinery auction or from a Sunbelt auction, asked him what he gave for it and he told me 6 grand. Needed a bit of work but easier than dealing with a whipped out bucket truck plus it's easier to store as well.

Few months ago I re-hosed an Altec high reach on a chipper box truck and the hoses alone were almost a grand. They are special non conductive hoses.

You can dump a lot of money into a Altec or High Ranger outfit and still have a beater.

One of my friends has a self propelled (propane fired JLG) and it has a 65 foot stick on it and I believe he bought it used at a Richie Brothers machinery auction or from a Sunbelt auction, asked him what he gave for it and he told me 6 grand. Needed a bit of work but easier than dealing with a whipped out bucket truck plus it's easier to store as well.

Few months ago I re-hosed an Altec high reach on a chipper box truck and the hoses alone were almost a grand. They are special non conductive hoses.

You can dump a lot of money into a Altec or High Ranger outfit and still have a beater.
Non-conductive hoses cost me a grand 25 years ago for my old Aerial lift.

Like you said, what you recommended will be a hell of a lot less complicated or expensive. A tow behind is all he needs I got. abuddy who owns a Tree service, and he gets by will his Biljax towable electric unit.

Back