Altec Wood Chipper Racing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwicker

Reaction score
I am new to this site, but hoping I can get some help with my wood chipper. I bought it to clean up the woods on my acreage.

I have an Altec WC-126A chipper with an EDI Model DSG-423 four-cylinder gas engine, which is apparently an industrial Ford engine. It has a two-position toggle switch for idle or service level throttle. I usually start it, let it warm up at an idle, then switch the toggle to high when I engage the chipper and am using the machine.

It had been working well, but now the idle switch no longer seems to work. It starts at full throttle and won't switch back down to idle. I had replaced the toggle switch previously, and with a multimeter it is still switching poles appropriately (three wires, and the switch connects the supply wire to either of two output wires). It is fuel injected, and I took the Bosch throttle control unit off of the intake. It looks good, and no burned wires or stuck throttle plates. The throttle plate seems to be closed as a default, and while it is hard to see when the machine is running, it looks like it is closed even though the machine is on high throttle. I am not a mechanic, but sort of expected the throttle plate (that is the air intake) to be wide open as the machine is running at high throttle, which does not appear to be the case.

I got a service manual, but it doesn't seem to address throttle problems. I don't mind taking it to a mechanic, but am not even sure who works on these sorts of machines here in Northeast Nebraska. If someone has an idea of how to troubleshoot the wiring or the throttle, or knows a good mechanic in this area, I would be very grateful.

Well, I guess I figured out what the problem was without the service manual or mechanic. I happened to notice that a mouse had chewed through the hose to what I think is the PCV valve, basically making a very large vacuum leak, such that intake air bypassed the throttle vane. I fixed the hose, and the throttle works fine now. Hope this may help someone else. D7250972-3144-4F0A-8F60-46BE23EC5B10_1_105_c.jpeg

Well, I guess I figured out what the problem was without the service manual or mechanic. I happened to notice that a mouse had chewed through the hose to what I think is the PCV valve, basically making a very large vacuum leak, such that intake air bypassed the throttle vane. I fixed the hose, and the throttle works fine now. Hope this may help someone else. View attachment 1198247
Damn!

Back