anybody still sell bow bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaster1

Reaction score
I have searched for what seems an eternity for somewhere to buy a new bow bar for a Husqvarna 272xp or 372xp. its been a long time since ive had to buy one and now cant find them anywhere. anyone know where I can get one?

Bowen is not far from you, they in lawrenceville i think. they had in catalog a few years ago. you will have to call them but the phone number is on the web site.

I do not believe there is anyone who still sells bows for legal reasons. I have contacted Bowen myself and they have not sold them for at least a couple of years. Chainbar Repair still makes narrow "clearing" bows and will refurbish a large bow for you but say that they can no longer legally produce large bows. Bows got a bad and undeserved reputation for being dangerous by people who did not know how to use them properly and have thus become illegal to produce and sell.

OP, are you in Albemarle or the other side of the river? I grew up at the other end of the county near the Greene line. I have 3 NOS clearing bows in my vehicle now but no large Husky bows.

I do not think it is "illegal" to produce a bow bar, I think the issue is with product liability. Bows have a reputation as being dangerous and the curvature of the bow places the chain a foot closer to the body. This geometry reduces reaction time and by extrapolation increases the chance for injury. Because of this I suspect that product liability coverage is unavailable to protect the manufacturer in the event of a lawsuit due to an injury.

Poulan was a leading manufacturer of bows and had six figure judgments entered against them as a result of injuries. It only takes a few outcomes such as that for insurers to decline to write coverage.

OP, are you in Albemarle or the other side of the river? I grew up at the other end of the county near the Greene line. I have 3 NOS clearing bows in my vehicle now but no large Husky bows.
I live just a couple miles the other side of the river. In the "Ham" as we refer to it.

thanks for the suggestions. I might try putting an add on the Tradin post. maybe I can find one hanging around somewhere and have it rebuilt. I love my bow for cutting firewood. sure is easier on your back.

thats a shame, nothing works better for bucking small wood on the ground. wonder how long before steak knives can't be sold?

This is designed specifically for that purpose, and seems a lot safer than a bowbar.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...uddy-Chainsaw-Firewood-Cutting-Attachment.axd

I don't have one, but am going to get one someday. In the meantime I have used the heck out of a "jawsaw" which works as advertised quite well for small branches. I wish they made a gas engine version, that would be my next new saw without any doubt.

Thanks Zogger, that looks exactly like what I didn't know I needed! Going onto the "to order" list today for the spring purchase.

thats nothing like the same, the bow keeps you from bending over. if you never used one, you won't get it...........nothing dangerous about it unless the user is a dumbass.

I agree I've got a homelite c72 with a big bow. I don't think it's any more dangerous then a bar unless u take the dog off it then your just a idot asking to get hurt but if you use it like it's designed it's safe. My c72 is so heavy though it kinda defeats the purpose just toating it makes my back hurt.

The safety issue is with the users more than the saws. I recently purchased this bow saw on ebay. With the guards in place, most on the chain is covered, other than what is pointing away from you. Once it's in the wood, it's impossible for it to kick back unless it could rip the bottom shoe up through the cut. This picture is the first time I used it. As you can see, it's not just for little wood, it works fine up to about 14 or 15 inches. Not only is there no bending over, but there is also no pinching, no cutting part way through and then either rolling the log or wedging the cut above the saw. The bar cuts all the way through, every time. I've also noticed it's less likely to cut into the ground, so the chain stays sharp longer. With a regular bar, how often do you try to roll a log with you foot while the saw is running. Also, with a regular bar, it's still very possible for the saw to kick back out of the cut. I did notice it was a pain installing the bar and chain with the guards in place. It's no big deal, but it takes a couple extra minutes making sure the chain is in place and tensioned correctly. Maybe this why the guards disappear on so many.
20150124_133201[1].jpg

Latest posts

Back