Anyone got any experience with VEC ignition coils?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have Cantdog. She's a runner! I must make mention that I was wrong in a previous post when I said that "it won't interfere with the starter cover". Both of mine have the same starter cover for the early and late model saws so the coil mount bosses are on the inside of both and if the kill switch terminal on the 51 coil is not tweaked back toward the cylinder and the spade terminal on the kill wire isn't insulated spark will be lost when the starter cover is installed. I also might note that just installing this coil seemed to have advanced the timing slightly, as my saw will idle down to a stall and has more rpm on the top end. I can only assume this because I rebuilt the carburetor and tuned the saw shortly before the coil failure. IMHO a little tune time and this should be a great fix to an old "obsolete" saw!

This good news....Great to adapt things that will work properly to obsolete saws. I'm a tad confused about the recoil cover you mentioned and what the interactions are with this 55/51 coil. The early covers have coil mount bosses that won't work on the late saws unless they are cut off due to the cyl mounted coil. The late model covers came with bushings (mount extenders) to replace the mounts and longer bolts so they will work on either saw....which covers do you have? Here is a pic of the late, early and one of a cavemaned early cover adapted to late.......

49 SP and 70E Build 103.jpg

This good news....Great to adapt things that will work properly to obsolete saws. I'm a tad confused about the recoil cover you mentioned and what the interactions are with this 55/51 coil. The early covers have coil mount bosses that won't work on the late saws unless they are cut off due to the cyl mounted coil. The late model covers came with bushings (mount extenders) to replace the mounts and longer bolts so they will work on either saw....which covers do you have? Here is a pic of the late, early and one of a cavemaned early cover adapted to late.......

Sorry about your confusion. I'm afraid I got complacent and relied on a assumption in my anxiousness to prove if Marks theory would work. during the set up of the coil I used the late model starter cover (short bosses) and had no interference issues. As of Monday I still had not received the replacement starter pulley that I had ordered off the Bay, so I "borrowed" the cover from my early model saw (longer bosses)to start the saw. So when I fit the cover I experienced the issue with the cover contacting the kill switch terminal. It was not till I read your post and looked at the two covers side by side on the bench that I saw the difference in the bosses. Again thank you for the correction , I am always up for learning something new! Thank you to Robin and Mark for your help on this project I'm pretty excited to have my saw up and running again!

Well I'm glad to hear my hunch paid off. Since their both Swedish saws, I suspected it would from my earlier trials with the Partners.

I also learned something from Robin as the earlier reports had me confused as well. Not surprising, Robin knows Jonsereds and if I had any questions I would turn to him for advice.

On another note, I did receive a new aftermarket coil for the big Partner/Husqvarna cut off saws and I'm going to see if it will work on the 6 cube Partner chainsaws. When I get time.

I see, so if using the late model covers there are no issues with fitment....only with the early model cover.....yes?
Great thread BTW....and great, rather inexpensive upgrade for a late model 70E with coil or trigger issues!!
Yes sir you are correct. If all the late model parts are used in an upgrade like this, the 51 coil is all but a drop in option Some slight wiring modifications necessary as the voltage module under the carb. is no longer needed.

Back