Anyone run the black craftsman 55 cc???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipknot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone has and uses the Big Black
Craftsman 55cc currently being sold at sears? M/N 316.350840
Its sounds like a real chainsaw compared to the ones made by Pull-on(poulan)
My only complaint is...I think the clutch is kinda weak It don't take much to stop the chain, when bearin down on it. Also who makes this saw for them? As far as I can tell it is the same as the bigger troy bilt saws. I wouldn't mind hearing someone elses oppinion. thanks

Opinions are fine but the guy wants to get feedback from someone who has experience with this particular saw. Mabey this saw is what he researched and wants. Mabey it is his first saw and does not want to rock out a $500.00
saw at first while learning to use it. (don't forget the safety equipt.)

Not everyone needs a pro grade saw.
I have a 357xp cause I want it...I don't need it to cut my firewood and help out friends I just like the saw.

I had an 029 for eight years and it was a ???? good saw for my needs at the time, and guess what most guys here agree its not a pro saw...big deal it worked for me.

We should be trying to help new folks here with anwsering questions and not pushing them into pro saws right off the bat.

Just my 2 cents.

I think my dad has one with a 20" bar on it. Although its not powerful, that thing has cut down a lot of trees and has taken quite a beating and is still running. So I cant knock it to much.

slipknot said:
...It don't take much to stop the chain, when bearin down on it...

If the saw has a good sharp chain, you shouldn't have to "bear down it". The saw will do all the work for you. Most saws can be made to bog down if you bear down on them, but the less power they have, the more that is true.

I haven't ran one, but I've also been curious about that model. Local Sears store had a return priced at $170.00 I think, & Sears had a coupon in the paper for 40% off (maybe $40.00 off?) that was good for one day only from 8am-12n only. As luck had it on that same morning my father-in-law was being ordained as an Episcopalian Deacon, & we had in-laws in from England & Scotland. Not saying that I would've definately bought it, though.

sears

Almost every sears saw I get in the shop has the same problem, way too lean. Richen things up and I am sure the perform much better and last longer. Not for heavy cutting, and the oil pumps are crap. Probably the second most replaced part on this saw.

I agree with that. THe bar is way underoiled! I have had that thing smoking. But for cutting basic pines and trees its a decent saw.

I remember a previous post speculating that it (the 55cc black one) was a Solo. Was that ever confirmed?

Well guys thanks for the feedback! I do actually have the saw it sounds mean and all, I just wanted to hear what someone elses thoughts of it. The one thing I do not know is who makes this one for sears? It ain't no poulan! It looks Identical to the bigger troy bilt saws, but then who makes their saw? I was thinking maybe ryobi thats what the 3 digit number comes back as, but as far as I can tell ryobi may just make the engine, hell its a puzzle to me! anyone know?
Its not your typical craftsman, IMO it borderlines being pretty good saw.

Blowdown1 said:
I remember a previous post speculating that it (the 55cc black one) was a Solo. Was that ever confirmed?
The one that's a Solo is an earlier black Craftsman. The Sear's Best 55cc model. It's old enough not to have a chainbrake but they may have made the same saw with one. A local pawn shop has one that I'm trying to talk him out of. I think this model is an OleoMac if it's the one with 'easy start'. It looks a lot like a black OleoMac 330 that's just a bit bigger.

whatsnext said:
I think this model is an OleoMac if it's the one with 'easy start'. It looks a lot like a black OleoMac 330 that's just a bit bigger.

IT has spring assisted (incredi-pull) as they call it, but in time I can tell I will be callin it Incredi-bull once that spring breaks!

oldsaw-addict said:
I'd much rather have a real pro saw.

If you're talking a pro grade saw, such as the 046 or 066, then I agree.

If you're talking a model that says 'pro' on it, gimme a break. I purchased a ms 360 'pro' a few years ago, and chose it over the ms390 due to the 'pro'.
what a piece of crap! my 029 i use for limbing on the ground cuts better.
kinda like the movie 'tommy boy' says: I can take a 5hit in a box and put a gurantee on it (or write pro on it) but at the end of the day, all you got is a guranteed box of 5hit"
writing 'pro' on a stihl saw IMO is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.
-Ralph

Stihltech, do you know who makes the current Craftsman 55cc saw? If it's a relabelled Troy-Built, would that be MTD? I know there is thread here that discussed Troy-Built saws.

I've always been curious about the older Craftsman saws, which is how I wound up with my Craftsman 4.5/Homelite 450 (duh! thought I was getting a relabelled Echo!).

Whoever makes the Troy Bilt saws is the maker of the 55cc Craftsman. They are virtually identical, but I can't find anything for either that would indicate who makes them. There is probably something on the engine that says who makes it.

The new 55cc black Craftsman with the "Incredi-Pull" that began Blowdown's thread is made by MTD. I looked at them the other day at Sears, and a department manager told me they were made by MTD and were expected to be better and tougher than their main Poulan/Craftsman line. I haven't used one, so I can't say what they are like when actually put to use. Probably like most outdoor equipment aimed at the consumer rather than the pro, a lot of the life is in the maintenance and care and patience one has toward the tool. As I've said in the past, the Craftsman/Poulan saws I've had all cut very well for basic homeowner use, but my fault with them is that many of them won't start very well -- even when new.

???? MTD!!! you guys know what that stands for? Mow Twice & Die :dizzy:
It has giant walbro carb on it (compared to any other saws I have) sux down some fule too! My husky rancher gets way better gas milage! coarse I blow out the filter about every 2-3 hrs of use on the crapsman! someone on here once said that a saw is as good as the maintenence done on it, right they are IMO!

Slipknot, have you taken a look to see if there are any labels or markings that indicate who makes the saw? It doesn't look like the Oleo-Macs, but I 'spose they could have done a seperate model for Troy/Craftsman, unlike the rebadged JDs and Cub Cadet Efcos.

Those 55 craftsmans are the same as the new troy built saws.

Look close, they are made in Taiwan garbage, just like the new macs.

Why waste the money, on that garbage, when the same money could buy a nice used husky or stihl that will blow it away & last 5 times as long.

Just my 2cents.........

Back