Anyone run the black craftsman 55 cc???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this thread via Google, and there isn't a lot of other info out there on this saw. So in case someone else finds it the same way I did, I just wanted to confirm that the saw is indeed made my MTD.

I purchased it as a floor model a month ago for $125. They finally mailed me the manual and the outer manual cover over the Sears Craftsman branded stuff says MTD as the return address. This is the same model, the 316.350840.

THe saw has been great for me so far. I don't know what sort of life span I'll expect though, but I am a new homeowner not a professional so I didn't want to spend $500 on a saw yet. This one complements my 16" Skihl 028 nicely. I've put about 25 hours into it so far and it has performed perfectly. Until the spring breaks, the "incredi-pull" is very nice.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone, somewhere, somewhen. If not, hello anyways and thanks to all here as I have found some great info on this site. :)

Jeremy, welcome aboard, & thanks for the info. I've never been 'inside' the incredi-pull system. Others have also mentioned the spring being a potential weak point; does the spring appear easy/difficult to repair/replace? Aw ra best...

Thanks Chris. :)

To be honest, I don't know about the spring. I can rip apart a computer in 10 seconds and put it back together better than before. But I do not have a lot of experience with mechanicals. My step-father helps me with that, or a local repair shop. :)

One other thing I did forget to mention. I don't know if it is normal for a bigger-engined saw or not, but the thing does gulp gas like crazy. I've taken to calling it the Humvee for its gas mileage. :)

Blowdown1 said:
I remember a previous post speculating that it (the 55cc black one) was a Solo. Was that ever confirmed?
The Solo 55cc saw was sold at the very end of the non-chainbreak era. I think everyone agrees that the current 55ccer is an oleo-mac.

Jeremy,

I don't know if this matters....this saw was also a McCulloch 4900 and there was also one in the 55cc range can't remember. I have beat the holy living crap out of this 4900 saw. Maintenace what is that I have never changed the plug and occasionlly clean the air filter. This saw still starts on the first pull after she pops on full choke. I will admit after eight years of beating on this saw the oiler is acting up. I have been told this was the last saw designed by the Real McCulloch before being sold off in 1999 I think. This 4900 saw was last sold in 1998. Anyways it looks as the design was a solid one because I keep seeing this saw as an MTD, Troybuilt, Craftsman, Poulan 2135?? I think. The saw is very easy to work on I finally had to put a new piston ring in the saw and rebuild the carb. That is what I get for leaving old gas in my saw. I also run the saw on 50:1 rather than the recommended 40:1. I will take a beating for this. I will be switching back to 40:1 after learning that 50:1 is for EPA emissions not saw longevity.

I now have two Huskies that get taken care of very well and I don't expect to have any trouble with them.

Kodiakfisher

Thanks for the feedback Kodiak. I will definitely be sitting down with my step father for a maintenence primer soon. I used the saw all weekend again so I'm sure it is getting close to the point where it will need some good cleaning. :)

Ralphs answer to 55cc

Ralph gave the most correct answer and best one to the sears 55cc saw question. Read his sentence about the box. He was honest and straight forward with great advice that a box may say pro but does not change the contents or item in box.

I know this post has a few months on it. I still LOL when I read it. I have always belived if you want the truth about a saw this is the web site to come to. Ralph has proved that.

Happy Thanksgiving

To Best Friends I have on this Web Site.

All Of You
Doug.
(JR)

Craftsman chainsaw

Seems like every message board is the same . . . there are always people who think that whatever they own or use is the absolute best. And it should be, at least for you . . .

That said, I bought my Craftsman saw about a year ago for the following reasons:
1) price - I got it on sale for about $170 + tax, so within my budget
2) engine size - I figured that 55cc would be enough power for a homeowner
3) bar & chain combo - narrow bar and good chain from Oregon
3) included case, bar oil, and fuel oil

I really didn't get to use the saw much until the last couple of months, during which time I have begun clearing the downed trees and underbrush from a 1+ acre lot adjacent to my residence. Provided I keep the chain sharpened (about every second use) the saw has performed at or beyond my expectations. With the thin curf bar/chain combo, the chips are noticeably smaller than with other saws I have used, but it doesn't cut any slower than those others either. As expected, the engine is plenty strong for what I ask of it, although I agree with the previous comment that it does bog down if you try to force it (just don't force it, dummy!), which I suppose is the clutch mechanism.

My only real gripe arises from a starting problem that I think was self induced. Yesterday, I wasn't paying attention and turned the saw off by choking it fully, rather than using the on/off switch. When I tried to restart the saw, it wouldn't fire, acting as though it were flooded. After about two hours of attempts interspersed with tending a fire and chipping some smaller limbs, I finally gave up on it. As I said, likely my fault and, wouldn't you know it, I couldn't lay hands on my manual to see if there was a recommended restart procedure. I'll try again this afternoon, and expect that it will start just fine.

Short story: for average homeowner use, I'd rate this saw an 8 out of 10.

:givebeer:

Welcome to AS OldTermite:clap:
I don't think anyone on here would berate someone that is a true homeowner for using a saw of that sort. Most of the people that ask about these saws want ot go cut a lot of firewood or clear 20+ acres of wood with them. Thats when bad things happen and saws get a bad rap. Sounds like you're craftsman is doing wonderful for you and you know and understand it limitations!
A lot of others on here, myself included, got addicticted to "chainsaw maddness" and want more and bigger so we can cut more and bigger!!! Which is why I usually recomend upsizing one size from what you think is the largest saw you need. It's a lot easier to cut smaller stuff with a bigger saw than vis-versa!! The voice of experiance talking here, LOL!
Andy

Thanks, sawinredneck

I appreciate your reply. Yeah, the Craftsman works all right for my purposes, and as far as need goes it would be hard for me to justify much more than a reliable $200 saw.

Still, reading posts from you and the other guys gets the cogs turning in the head, and I really think I could get more work done if I had a better saw . . .

"Honey, I'm going to the Chainsaw Hut, I'll be back in a couple of hours."

:chainsaw:

I'm still embarrassed that i even bought this saw!:blush: If anyone needs any brand new parts for this saw I have some. everything minus the engine! It was donated to an airplane. Also I don't think anyone can order parts for this saw as sears service shop wasn't able to!
I have brandnew pull start assembly, muffler, rear handle/gas tank assembly, air cleaner, everything but the motor itself like I said! Pm me and we can work out a deal!
I got these parts off ebay when i thought this saw was cool, then I bought a husky and My opinion quickly changed on this saw!:chainsaw: :dizzy:

Bought the black saw from sears about 1 year ago for my dad for his fathers day gift. He like the saw alot, he only cuts a little bit more then 1 cord a year. I think its a little low on power but for the price, you cant beat it. Kinda pretty also.LOL

Sears Rip Off

The Chain for the 18" 55cc Craftsman (18" 72DL 36514) is $62.25, the bar is $28.55. For the price of two chains, I can replace the saw. I bought the saw because it was a craftsman and it was the biggest they had. I sent it in for service (the kill switch didn't work and you couldn't turn it off) and wanted the chain replaced they sharpened the chain because even sears couldn't get a replacement chain. The saw is a total rip off.

Guys, I think that if you look at the "made in" tag it will say "Taiwan". That's where the Troy-Bilt ones come from I believe.

You are right Spike60. I seen that saw at sears a time back. It had made in TAIWAN right on it.

55cc- Big?!?! I don't think so. My 039 isn't big, by my standards, and it's 64.1cc's. Had an 041 farmboss buried in some silver maple today, and I don't think that one's that big. Big for me is an 090g. :D Was using an 044 today, too. Wow, that thing really revs high compared to the 041. :D

Cut4fun said:
MTD owns Troy-bilt. Does it look anything like a efco? Because efco makes the Cub Cadet saw for MTD. Just a thought of mind that could be wrong again. I dont even know if efco makes a 55cc.
No, they don't - but 56 cc is pretty close.

Latest posts

Back