Anyone run the Oregon Powercut 42" 3/8 bar ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsrsol84mm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seems very reasonable at $130.
Would like to try it on a Mastermind Ported 661.

No real need but would like to give it a shot if the bar is halfway decent.
Would run 3/8 .063 as I run 3/8 on everything and all the files and sharpeners are set up for 3/8.
The saw is also set up for 3/8.

Seems like one of the the most reasonable priced longer 3/8 bars.

Would you run semi skip ? full skip or full comp. Will more than likely cut oak.

Thanks

Not sure what brand bar or pitch of the chain in this video of a ported 661 with 42" bar.

Interested in some feedback of the Oregon Powercut 42" 3/8 bar.

Here are a couple of ported 661 saws with a 41" Cannon Bar

Seems very reasonable at $130.
Would like to try it on a Mastermind Ported 661.

No real need but would like to give it a shot if the bar is halfway decent.
Would run 3/8 .063 as I run 3/8 on everything and all the files and sharpeners are set up for 3/8.
The saw is also set up for 3/8.

Seems like one of the the most reasonable priced longer 3/8 bars.

Would you run semi skip ? full skip or full comp. Will more than likely cut oak.

Thanks
Run Full Skip, clear chips better on long bars and less drag , Frawleys Saw Shop has decent prices , unless you make ur own chain.

Are you milling with this saw? 42” bar on a 90cc saw ported or not is overkill especially in hardwood.
I can't agree with this.

390xp stock pulls and oils a 42" bar with no problems. I've had it in madrone and tan oak, living and dead. Chain was skip, chisel.

I definitely wouldn't want that to be the dedicated bar or do it all the time, but it does it just fine.

I ran an Oregon branded 42" years ago in the Alaskan mill. It worked fine, heavy as all get out. Didn't do much bucking with it, 390xp didn't have an issue oiling it, the 394xp handled it better power wise. Sucked to fell and buck with. I don't use the Alaskan for big logs anymore and got rid of the 42" bar. 36" is plenty of weight hanging off the saw, and more then enough bar length for the odd 5 foot tree you get on the east coast. I rarely felt the need to run skip of any sort on either bar, in the mill or felling/ bucking. Truthfully if you're going to use it any major amount look for a light weight bar, your back will thank you.

Thank you to everyone for their replies. After a bit of consideration I have decided to go with the Stihl lightweight 36 inch bar. At 3 pounds 7 ounces it is 3 pounds lighter than the 42" oregon bar. For the occasional use the 36 inch bar will probably do everything that the 42 inch bar would do.
Also will run 3/8 .050 chain and probably Stihl RS or 72EXL Oregon Chain full comp.
Use the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener.

Thanks again

Thank you to everyone for their replies. After a bit of consideration I have decided to go with the Stihl lightweight 36 inch bar. At 3 pounds 7 ounces it is 3 pounds lighter than the 42" oregon bar. For the occasional use the 36 inch bar will probably do everything that the 42 inch bar would do.
Also will run 3/8 .050 chain and probably Stihl RS or 72EXL Oregon Chain full comp.
Use the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener.

Thanks again
Wise choice. Regardless of how well your saw may run a 42” bar that’s a lot of extra weight. I’m confident you’ll be more than happy with the light bar.

Back