Are Stihl Flippy Caps Supposed to Squeak and Leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the Stihl IPL for my MS361, 25x3.5mm (Stihl part number for the o-ring alone is 9645 948 7734).

Lots of o-rings with those dimensions on ebay.
FYI the 25mm is ID (if you're looking for o-rings they usually want either ID or OD or both) "Inner Diameter" and "Outer Diameter" ID / OD

Best

Funny thing on the Husqy fuel cap that came on my brand new 562, I noticed 2 threads stripped off. Mind you, this saw never had been fueled except possibly from factory run test? It sure never smelled like it tho. 2021 model year by the way.

$7 for a new one and I have the original as a backup cuz it never leaked. Chock it up to factory defect maybe? I dunno....

FYI the 25mm is ID
Uh-oh...
embarrassed.gif

Here I will make this easy on ya. Because we already have a whole thread under featured tab in my group on which orings to use for everything basically made in saws and what fits.

Large and small stihl flippy oring sizes and where to order right on it.

Attachments

• sflippyoringsss.jpg
    sflippyoringsss.jpg
    406.3 KB
Sorry, hadn't finished my first cup of coffee this morning.
Edited and corrected.

STIHL Flippy Caps, I have a love/hate relationship with them: I love them, but they don't treat me well. I keep them and the filler openening clean and they seem to last "forever" (no "recall" caps) but they do tend to blow fuel droplets out when opening a hot saw.

As the tank runs low on fuel it's full of air which is drawn in through the one-way valve by the vacuume created by fuel being pulled out of the tank. When shutting the saw off the cooling fan stops blowing air over the cylinder, and air in the fuel tank is heated by the stopped engine radiating heat into the tank causing the tank to build pressure. If the saw doesn't have time (15+ minutes) to cool the pressure vents when opening the cap, and if there's any open flame it's not a good situation (to the point it's a learning module in the Wilderness Firefighting Training).

STILH screw-on caps have the same issue. One part of a solution is Husqvarna's wrench-slot as your hand is further from the filler cap. I suppose I could file my chain before filling the tank, eat a sandwich, drink some whisk...coffee, water the flowers, fill the oil, surf the 'net, and take a nap. :cheers:

I suppose I could file my chain before filling the tank, eat a sandwich, drink some whisk...coffee, water the flowers, fill the oil, surf the 'net, and take a nap. :cheers:
That got an actual audible LOL :)

The other thing we can do is just not open that fuel cap next to an open flame... (shrug)

I wouldn't *recommend* it but there is one guy who used to race motorcycles with me... chain smoker... I've seen him refill bikes with race gas... transfer fuel from one jug to a smaller container... handle gasoline with a lit cigarette in his mouth countless times...

of course *everyone* threw a tantrum every time they saw it... idk whats wrong with this guy... but once when someone came up to him yelling about fire danger he poured some gas in a cup... took the lit cigarette out of his mouth... and put it in the cup of gas.

"What happened?" you ask... the cigarette went out.

Again... I do NOT recommend smoking around your fuel tanks. I recommend AGAINST it. Against smoking, too while we're at it...

And gasoline fire danger is a real thing.

But open flames... that's the danger... if the guy *lit* a cigarette in the middle of all those gas fumes... the story would have a different ending... (shrug)

Back