Asheville Volunteer Work, Day 1 of .... Dangerous hung-up tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieSawyer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, how is your week going?

The weather continues to be beautiful here in Asheville, after the mayhem ended.

A local church reached out with my first project - a hung up pine that threatens to cut off part of the community if it comes down (across their access road). And it's nasty - split through down to the ground, evidence of ants, and snapped off at about 8 ft above the ground.

First I cleared out the area - at first it was too entangled with undergrowth and saplings to even assess what-was-what.

My 455 did fine with the clearing, but then it was time to start my new-from-the-store 372XP with 24" bar. It just will not start - even with starter fluid jetting in through air intake at carb. It burbled and ran for apx 2 seconds, no pops after that. The store did run it briefly as I paid for it. Is there an area of the saw to focus on in terms of getting it to run? (it's topped up with bar oil and Husky original fuel). All businesses are on short/unpredictable hours - so no chance to talk to any of the staff over the rest of today.

In the end, I took this as a sign that I should apologize to 'the client', walk away for today, and regroup.

This gives me an opportunity to ask all of you - what are the options for taking out the base of this hung up tree as safely as possible? Of course, I would imagine a crew of sufficient size would potentially have the hydraulics and cables to just tear the lower section out. Once the 'new base' is on the ground, it's still a take-down that requires vigilance and caution, but at least you're past the risk presented here - this could blow out at any point in time.

Back to my AirBnB to be blasted with nerf guns. (host's daughter). Something to make me smile as I pack away gear! Life is grand.

Attachments

• IMG_2377.jpeg
    IMG_2377.jpeg
    936.9 KB
  • IMG_2378.jpeg
    IMG_2378.jpeg
    667.3 KB
  • IMG_2379.jpeg
    IMG_2379.jpeg
    1 MB
  • IMG_2380.jpeg
    IMG_2380.jpeg
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_C863D97F9D7E-1.jpeg
    IMG_C863D97F9D7E-1.jpeg
    282.3 KB
  • IMG_2382.jpg
    IMG_2382.jpg
    378 KB
Good to see good people helping out.

Be careful besides the tree.

The 3-leaved viney stuff growing on the trunk is poison ivy.

I'd get in the shower ASAP and wash down with cold water and dish soap. Wash your clothes/tools too. Survey the area for more PI.

Back