Back up light duty saw help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casttolast

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am kicking around the idea for an excuse for another small capacity saw.
I have a 260 pro (love the 362 double dogs I fitted) and a echo 360 top handle.
This has me covered for the light work but just to be extravagant I am considering another saw even if it's to let someone working along side me to use. This is only private acreage use.
Eg. A $200AUD discount is out there right now for am ms181 and 211 but I'm not keen on the single sprocket cover nut idea and also some adverse reviews. That weight is what I'm after tho.
I have plenty of new stihl 3/8 picco × 0.050 and I am not keen on introducing 0.043 into the mix (another mark against the ms181).
Are there any saws of any brand that folks would suggest?

You could see if dealer would swap out .043 for .050 setting (may be a few bucks more) or buy or use .050 bar if you have already.

I kinda like the chinese zenoah clones.
The 42cc troy built or craftsman saw is a good runner with a muffler mod and a screamer if you port it.
The 38cc joncutter or eathquake is similar just a bit slower.

I have the MS181 & MS211 and while they're ok I would not purchase them new.
I bought mine gently used.
I looked at Shindaiwa Australia's website and I'd be all over those before either of the Stihl's.

I have the MS181 & MS211 and while they're ok I would not purchase them new.
I bought mine gently used.
I looked at Shindaiwa Australia's website and I'd be all over those before either of the Stihl's.
I agree. They have got a 34cc model called the 341AC that looks the business. It (along with quite a few other models on their website) is a recent new release that I have not noticed before.
If it's new here in Aus then it will have been on the market in other parts of the world for a while.
I don’t really understand the weight thing with the 2 saws you already have, Sounds like you just want another saw which is absolutely fine.
You are dead right. I have big saws as well. I was just after recommendations for saws in the 35cc class.

The single nut works just fine. Never has been an issue for the operators I service.
My choice used- a MS180. A little more useful power than the 170 and torture tested by the Amish community.
Thx for the advice. I have never owned or used any saws in the " homeowner" class and was after some feedback.

I agree. They have got a 34cc model called the 341AC that looks the business. It (along with quite a few other models on their website) is a recent new release that I have not noticed before.
If it's new here in Aus then it will have been on the market in other parts of the world for a while.

You are dead right. I have big saws as well. I was just after recommendations for saws in the 35cc class.
In the 35cc class I've had a couple Echos (346 and 352). Echo would be my choice again.
I'll admit I've not run the Stihls in this class,

In addition to cutting some firewood for heating my house, I also maintain the property that I hunt on, and occasionally do some volunteer work after large storms. For firewood, I rarely use my 026, but I use it a lot when cleaning up downed trees after a storm. In that application, there's a lot more limbing to do and I often find myself climbing over stuff to get to where I need to be. In that scenario, I prefer a light weight saw. I considered getting a smaller used Stihl for that job. Something like a 170 or 180. After messing with a couple of them I came to the conclusion that they are not that much lighter than my 026, and not enough to notice a difference in use. Recently I noticed another thread that had mentioned an Echo 2511p which is a 35cc rear handle saw that's in the neighborhood of 6 lbs. THAT would be a saw I'd add to my collection if I could find a used one at a reasonable price. Otherwise, the 026/260/261 is as small as I'd go. If I wanted something lighter, I'd look at a shorter bar or a lightweight bar for it.

Stihl 180.

My 017, repurposed with 180 AM parts is an absolute runner. 16" bar, yellow chain, fully adjustable carb.

Buy the 180. you won't be disappointed.

Maybe you are committed to Stihl but for my money Echo makes a better homeowner class saw. I would say CS400, 352, or 310. No cheapo convenience features like single bar nuts, plastic spikes, or quick tensioners.
The Echo CS-400 is a great saw:
1722883117951.pngIt replaced the CS-3900 that I have owned and used for 20 years. Mine keeps on going and going, and that's about the only reason why I do not own a CS-400 today.

After messing with a couple of them I came to the conclusion that they are not that much lighter than my 026, and not enough to notice a difference in use. Recently I noticed another thread that had mentioned an Echo 2511p which is a 35cc rear handle saw that's in the neighborhood of 6 lbs. THAT would be a saw I'd add to my collection if I could find a used one at a reasonable price. Otherwise, the 026/260/261 is as small as I'd go. If I wanted something lighter, I'd look at a shorter bar or a lightweight bar for it.
The 026 family I quote will have heavier cutting attachments (bar and chain) than the 63 or 61 class picco. (3/8lp in 0.050 and 0.043) The echo 361P is the 35cc top handle layout in a rear handle the 2511 is in the class with the Stihl 150/151 around 25cc.

The 026 family I quote will have heavier cutting attachments (bar and chain) than the 63 or 61 class picco. (3/8lp in 0.050 and 0.043) The echo 361P is the 35cc top handle layout in a rear handle the 2511 is in the class with the Stihl 150/151 around 25cc.
I don't recall ever seeing an MS150, but again, if I could find a used one I'd probably add it to my list of tools. I don't particularly care for a top handle saw though, so the 150t and 151t wouldn't be something that interests me personally. I do a decent job of not spending a lot on stuff I don't use or need much. It wouldn't make sense for me to spend anywhere near the $500 to $600 they want for the new saws. Even if I needed a saw, dollar for dollar I'd spend the money on a used 026/260/261 before I'd spend it on a new 25-35cc saw because a 50cc saw is FAR more useful for my needs.

I recently purchased a Stihl 194C. A friend is a Stihl dealer and he accidentally ordered 2 of these and had one left that he sold me for 399 plus tax, not a steal but he said that was his price. I have been very pleased with it, I have about 3 tanks of fuel through it and it’s light and typically starts on the first pull after the initial start. I was looking for a light saw to go with the MS250, Echo 600P and 044. I feel well covered for saws.

Latest posts

Back