Bar oil $7.49 @ TSC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the more anal diesel enthusiast send their oil to be tested after ever so many miles. Mobil One Turbo Diesel does very well. I buy Rotella T6 ten gallons at a time and run it in everything, even a 1953 Farmall Super A. Cheaper than Mobil One. Big thing is to change the dumb stuff regularly.

I have never had an oil related issue with anything, chainsaws included. People's ability to tear **** up is a curiosity to me. But, gives me something to do.
I agree. We ran Chevron Ursa for many, many years and many, many hours with zero oil related failures yet a lot of the oil snobs would be quick to discredit it as "inferior" whether they understood the application or not. We still run conventional 30 wt. Rotella in or gensets, not because "it's the best", but it suits the application and it's readily available in quarts and gallons.

To me, the biggest benefit for high quality synthetic oils is the extended drain intervals. I have normally changed oil on my cars every 25000 miles, changing filters every 12,500. With non-synthetic oil, I used to change it every 3000 miles. For my tractors, it is every 200 hours. For my diesel trucks, it was every 25000 miles until my current F350, which I change every 10,000 miles on the recommendation of Amsoil due to possible fuel dilution of the oil. I normally keep my vehicles for about 250,000 miles, though I got nearly 300,000 out of a Saturn; when its timing chain broke, I opted not to get it fixed, as the cost would be more than the car was worth. Its upholstery was pretty worn out by then also. I did not get so many miles out of a diesel Suburban (pre-Allison) or an older F250 with the horrible 6.0 liter diesel. But my problems with those two were not oil related. I imagine you have heard all the horror stories about those two engines, so I won't get into that here.
Makes my point I suppose. I have been driving a 6 liter F-250 for twenty years. Started out with regular Rotella, don't think there was a diesel rated synthetic yet. But, have been using synthetic every 5000 miles since.

They are not as tough as a 7.3 for sure. But, I have never had any issues with it.

I agree. We ran Chevron Ursa for many, many years and many, many hours with zero oil related failures yet a lot of the oil snobs would be quick to discredit it as "inferior" whether they understood the application or not. We still run conventional 30 wt. Rotella in or gensets, not because "it's the best", but it suits the application and it's readily available in quarts and gallons.
Chevron makes good products and their additive branch Oronite makes cutting edge stuff.

Makes my point I suppose. I have been driving a 6 liter F-250 for twenty years. Started out with regular Rotella, don't think there was a diesel rated synthetic yet. But, have been using synthetic every 5000 miles since.

They are not as tough as a 7.3 for sure. But, I have never had any issues with it.
I know of a gent that has 300k on a 6.0L. However it was deleted right away. And he is the only guy I know with a high mileage 6.0L..

I know of a gent that has 300k on a 6.0L. However it was deleted right away. And he is the only guy I know with a high mileage 6.0L..
Mine is stock. I replaced the coolant with that red caterpillar stuff to keep the cooler from getting stopped up. Other than that it's the way it came from the factory.

On the original topic, Rural King has the bar oil cheap as well.

If I remember I'll see what the store pays wholesale through ACE. Bet it is more than $8

Those extended drains are not because Amsoil makes a magic diesel oil. With proper UOA Rotella,Delo, or Delvac synthetics will do the same thing.
I was doing the extended drain back in 2001 with Petro Canada Duron, which is a paltry group 3 oil.
Now days I believe class 8 trucks have a 30-40k mile OCI with standard mineral oil.
I know that Amsoil is not the only one that can allow extended drain intervals. Before I used Amsoil, I used Ultron synthetic, which uses a diester base oil. I stopped using them when they decided to sell only in large quantities for fleets. I will add this comment: the Project Farm test also included oil analysis. That analysis showed that Amsoil had a larger concentration of anti-wear additives than the others tested. No doubt that is why the wear scar was smaller and the power draw was less. No magic, just sound formulation.

I imagine he did a lot of repairs. I did the EGR delete also, but it did not save the engine. I had a head gasket failure, turbo failure, charge pump failure, multiple injector failures and some electronic failures that happened with zero warning. I got tired of being stranded. I got rid of that thing with around 130,000 miles.

I imagine he did a lot of repairs. I did the EGR delete also, but it did not save the engine. I had a head gasket failure, turbo failure, charge pump failure, multiple injector failures and some electronic failures that happened with zero warning. I got tired of being stranded. I got rid of that thing with around 130,000 miles.
Actually no. Last I heard he has done a water pump and a transmission only.
He is an old rancher and takes it pretty easy.

Actually no. Last I heard he has done a water pump and a transmission only.
He is an old rancher and takes it pretty easy.
Sounds like a lucky guy. Few have had good luck with the 6.0l Ford/Navistar engine. Interesting tidbit: when my head gasket was repaired, the head bolts had a part number that was 5 generations removed from the original part number. It seems Ford knew they had a problem and were trying to get bolts that would not stretch. I used my truck intermittently to pull an 11000 lb trailer, so I did sometimes work it hard.

Sounds like a lucky guy. Few have had good luck with the 6.0l Ford/Navistar engine. Interesting tidbit: when my head gasket was repaired, the head bolts had a part number that was 5 generations removed from the original part number. It seems Ford knew they had a problem and were trying to get bolts that would not stretch. I used my truck intermittently to pull an 11000 lb trailer, so I did sometimes work it hard.
Yes, it's literally the only one I've heard of without major issues.
From whatbI am told once they are "bullet proofed" they are a pretty good engine.

Yes, it's literally the only one I've heard of without major issues.
From whatbI am told once they are "bullet proofed" they are a pretty good engine.
One can spend a lot of money "bullet proofing" that engine! I am skeptical if it ever is really bullet proofed, since so many different areas of problems seem to be at issue. The head bolt issue is hard to get around, as there are only 4 head bolts per head. I think the new 6.7l Ford-built engine has 10. So far, mine has given me no problems except a water pump that failed under warranty.

I apologize for this post that is completely off topic, but I am asking your indulgence as this news is heavy on my heart. You may have heard about a small plane crash in upstate New York, where no one survived. The pilot, Roger Beggs, was a former Manufacturer's Rep for my former employer, and he was my friend. I knew him for over 40 years. The other 4 passengers were his daughter, son-in-law and his grandchildren, aged 10 and 12. If you could spare a moment, please say a prayer for them and for the surviving wife, who was not on the plane.

I apologize for this post that is completely off topic, but I am asking your indulgence as this news is heavy on my heart. You may have heard about a small plane crash in upstate New York, where no one survived. The pilot, Roger Beggs, was a former Manufacturer's Rep for my former employer, and he was my friend. I knew him for over 40 years. The other 4 passengers were his daughter, son-in-law and his grandchildren, aged 10 and 12. If you could spare a moment, please say a prayer for them and for the surviving wife, who was not on the plane.
Damn. Sorry for your loss.

I bet that was the winter grade. I saw it for around that price today, it was winter grade. Regular was $7.49.
Not here the regular is $14.99 no winter stuff on the shelf . And I had to take the jug up to the service counter no price on the shelf . The quarts had a price but I would never buy a quart bottle . Way to expensive

Sorry to hear this

There's probably 100,000 trucks on the road running Delo, Delvac or Rotella compared to every one running Amsoil. They can claim whatever they want, but in field results out-weigh any hype Amsoil can print.
Exactly! If it was that great major companies woukd use it. They dont.
Mining companies especially as margins are often very thin and they are always looking for ways to save money, yet never seen amsoil on a mine site.

Back