Bar oil alternatives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it wasn't for lube, none of us would be here. I used to use crude oil from Alberta's tar sands, sand included. Stones the chain real nicely.image.jpg

i use regular motor oil if im out of regular bar and chain oil. right now im using a gallon of 25w40 marine oil a buddy gave me works fine.

When we closed our gas station several years ago, we had a lot of different brands & viscosities of oil left over. We also had a lot of STP. I figured the STP mixed in with the motor oil would be a good bar oil but it didn't seem sticky enough. I probably didn't use enough STP.

Obviously, from an economics standpoint, this would only be feasible in a case such as mine. I actually still have quite a bit of that stuff left so I think I'll give it another try.

I was planning to use five gallons of used hydraulic oil I have, seems to be mixed reviews though.

Used cooking oil is proven to cause all kinds of problems including rapid weight gain. Bacon grease is an excellent lube for machine work. For some reason it works even better than lard. I didn't find the salt in it to be corrosive which was a surprise. Unfortunately I had to eat three pounds of thick sliced hickory smoked bacon to get my starter batch then there were a lot of lost time incidents on the job. I couldn't stand more than fifteen or twenty minutes of smelling hot frying bacon every time my machine lube got hot then I'd have to dog things off long enough to go cook up a BLT or two. I gained fifteen pounds in three months and ten points on my blood pressure!

Hu

Latest posts

Back