Bar Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcus

Reaction score
Had to add my two cents worth on this subject. After considerable use of canola oil, in an 029, an 038, and an 044, used mainly in the Tongass on Sitka Spruce and Western Hemlock, (felling and milling them into beams and lumber,) I am satisfied that canola is the ONLY way to go.

Believe it or not, on a logger friend's recommendation, I fry spuds in the oil, strain the oil through whatever, (have used a sock,) then mill the heck out of some pretty big beautiful trees. I kid you not. Bar wear is equal to or less than petroleum products I have used.

Canola Oil

I will have to give this a try, and it has the added advantage of being biodegradable so the chips will not damage lawns, gardens etc. Price is comparable to chain saw oil, as you can buy 3/4 gallon of the stuff for $2.97 here. How does it stack up in colder weather?

being biodegradable is great for the environment but what about the saw? I would think that a product like canola oil would promote microbial growth,(which is the reason it is biodegradable). I would doubt the oiler pump needs another pile of crap added to the mix. Maybe I'm wrong about this risk and making big deal out of nothing. I know for a fact that they have exactly this type of problem with the biodegradable hydraulic fluids that they have been experimenting with. Everything gets gummed up with all the little critters at the smorgasboard! :)

Haven't done any milling at 20F or below, just light falling, bucking, and firewood, etc. (no problems then,) but have used it often between 20-25F and freezing. Never any problems at that temperature. Yeah, I hate to spray petroleum around the woods too and the price sure is right. Like they say, the proof is in the pudding.

It is my understanding that someone is/was making a canola based bar oil with viscosity modifiers/tacking agents. Supposedly great stuff. My only experience with canola is the regular cooking stuff which I've been using in my Power pruner. I'm pleased with the performance in that application but not sure about using it in bigger saws. Are you guys running it only in cold weather or year 'round?

I have no experience with warm weather, extended periods above 60-65F, using canola for bar oil. (Too dang hot to do anything but fish and scheme then anyway.) Perhaps Newfie is right about microbes in warm weather? If they get into diesel fuel, they can probably get into anything. I don't always have once used oil to run through those bars, so they get new oil from gallon jugs, which doesen't stay in the saw very long for sure. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Back