bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artwood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been using bar oil from Wal-mart, Tech brand. Seems to work as well as the Stihl or Husky oils only much cheaper. Anyone tried it, or know of any differences? - Eric

Walmarts tech brands are made by Shell oil so its probaly not too bad. When it comes to bar oil I dont think it really matters. I know lots of guys who use waste oil and have never had failures doing so.

How tacky is that walmart oil? I think this is really the only important property of bar oil as it doesnt really have to be of a high lubricity. I get my husky bar oil for $2.50 for a gallon here so its not expensive. I am ready to switch to walmart or any other bar oil if its tacky enough. The tackiness ensures that the oil does not sling off the end of the bar as easily. I would not use used oil, but thats just because its not really worth the trouble and it stinks.

20 years ago, when I was younger, dumber, and had less money, I used to use waste oil.

We've been over this before, but I don't do it now, for several reasons:
1) too much bother to strain the crap out so as to avoid clogs
2) even if the coarse stuff is gone, the fine stuff isnt
3) all the stuff the detergents keep in suspension.
4) I saw this graphically a couple of weeks ago... diesel drainings have enough acids in them to actually eat through the oil tank - from the inside! Granted, saw was a 20-year-old Homelite, but still...

I just buy a gallon of Poulan stuff at HD. Any idea who makes it?

I'd never want to use waste oil. You're taking it out of your engine for a reason!

I've used LOTS of Walmart's bar oil. It is excellent. My local WalMart is now selling Poulan Bar oil cheaper than there own brand. Also excellent (probably the same manufacturer) the only bar oil which I've ever tried that was noticeably different from all the others was some K-Mart branded stuff. It was awful-not very tacky and STUNK.:rolleyes:

I've used the Poualn stuff too, works great. Or any cheap 30 weight motor oil. Yep I've seen the damage of acid from used oil too. Eats pits right into the magnesium.

Since mid-summer I've been using vegetable oil that goes into deep fat fryers. I bought a five gallon jug at Costco for 57 cents a quart and no sales tax. Pretty cheap and non polluting. No problems with lubricating the chains so far.

Tom

get 30 wt recycled for $50 cents a quart

Has anyone went all out and priced oil by the drum.
I bought a 55 gallon drum of oil back in the 80's and paid about half the price by the quart. Will the distributor sell to a individual?
i am sure some of the farmers on this site COOP their oil.
Come on guys speak up!

Tom, have you had any problems with that oil turning rancid? I can imagine you'd get a pretty smelly saw.

Magnesium is very vaulnderable to acids. Some old Lawn Boy decks get eaten right through just from grass clippings.

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
Since mid-summer I've been using vegetable oil that goes into deep fat fryers. I bought a five gallon jug at Costco for 57 cents a quart and no sales tax. Pretty cheap and non polluting. No problems with lubricating the chains so far.

Tom

Tom,

Does that oil harm plants, flowers, etc.? I know a certain amount slings out while using a saw.

whooooaaa.. Poulan bar oil costs 2.59/ gallon here at the wal-mart. You guys out there must really have been driving some hard bargains lately. Your 2 stroke oil prices also sound ridiculously low. Your sparkplug prices are also very low - how may do you buy 20 at a time? even then they are low. Anyway, I do not believe that your gas is cheaper in MA than it is in AR and its $1.29/gal here today. I think you must have some 50% glasses on or something....rub your eyes and wake up. I've been there and its f'n expensive compared to here.

retail supply and demand

netree

I would be interested in buying a few hundred gallon of Hydraulic oil,Bar oil if you can sell it for the right price.I will pay you 1.25 gal for the bar oil and 7.50 for the 5 gal of Hydraulic oil.I will take at least 100 gal of each and drive from Pa, pick it up,will pay you in cash.
Later
Dan

Load her up netree

Walmart here in Los Angeles sells a gallon for $2.59.
I think you have a special opportunity there at the Walmart near you.
I would buy their inventory at 99 cents a gallon.
I can't buy recycled oil for 99 cents a gallon.

I found a company selling a gallon of Motul 800 for around $35 a gallon delivered when everyone else , even the distributor sells it for more. all the retail stores I contacted sell it for $45 a gallon and $15 a quart.

Does your local Walmart do mailorder?

Netree lets have an eBay moment. I think you have a $$$ making opportunity.

Latest posts

Back