Bar Scabbard suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few versions of the canvas, ‘wrap’ style bar covers (note: not called ‘scabbards’?).

They each include pockets for carrying small tools, accessories, etc.

Might be a good option for someone who takes one saw into the woods, as opposed to having several saws in the back of a truck, along with a toolbox, parts, etc.

The wrap style may also be easier to place and remove, compared to one that slides on, for very long bars with aggressive teeth. Reminiscent of protective covers used on crosscut saws.

Or, just because someone likes that style. Good to have options!

Links only, because you need to scroll through a few photos on each site to really understand the product.

Some are also available on sites like Bailey’s, Amazon, and other vendors of wildland fire equipment.

https://www.truenorthgear.com/catalog/category/category/wildland-gear/saw-bar-cover

https://gvfireproducts.com/products/chain-saw-bar-cover

Philbert

Apparently (?), some ‘old school’ fire hose relied on wet fibers expanding instead of a plastic or rubber liner?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

A generous forum member once gave me several feet of the plastic / rubber lined stuff. It was somewhat mildewy inside, so I washed it out. But it took many, many days to try out on the inside. That’s why I became concerned about potential rust, and passed on using it.

A lot of wildland fire guys swear by it, so I am guessing that there are other types, or that I was just wrong to be concerned?

Anyway, the single piece, plastic scabbards became more available in longer length, and that’s what I use now.

Philbert

Maybe you could spray the canvas with waterproofing spray for coats, to stop any rain from soaking in? Or wax for wax jackets?

Another point about scabbards: I like to keep extra / spare bars in scabbards, to protect the bar, and things it might hit, in transport.

A folded piece of corrugated cardboard and duct tape can suffice for this. But the long, plastic ones are more convenient for bars that you might swap out often.

Philbert

You could always buy a 2x6, cut it off an inch longer than the bar then bore cut into it. It'll last forever.
I have an old stihl scabbard I use on whatever saw im hauling around.
I made one for a large hedge trimmer: 2 sides out of 1/8” lauan plywood scraps; side strips / spacers ripped out spruce / pine / fir trim boards. Glue and staples.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back