Bar Scabbard suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should hear what I think about saws in cases that come in with the owner saying the saw is leaking oil.
I keep my saws in cases: to protect the saws; protect my car or storage areas; and to keep extra parts FOR that saw WITH that saw (bars, chains, spark plugs, filters, etc.).

But what I usually get flamed for is lining the plastic cases with oil absorbent pads. Work much better than newspaper.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/chain-saw-diapers-keep-your-cases-cleaner.73699/

Philbert

You should hear what I think about saws in cases that come in with the owner saying the saw is leaking oil.

Thats just the grumblings of a grumpy old repair man, I do the same with repair saws have been run with used sump oil for bar oil- some I refuse to work on- but guess what, I don't own it, the client does- and as such they are free to choose what they run through it and how they store it.
Has little to nothing to do with bar scabbard options.

I keep my saws in cases: to protect the saws; protect my car or storage areas; and to keep extra parts FOR that saw WITH that saw (bars, chains, spark plugs, filters, etc.).

But what I usually get flamed for is lining the plastic cases with oil absorbent pads. Work much better than newspaper.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/chain-saw-diapers-keep-your-cases-cleaner.73699/

Philbert

Years ago I had a weekend warrior little 14" craftsman- nothing special- but it came with a plastic case which was nice because it had a spot for the scrench and I could leave a file in there too. OTOH eventually the catch started failing and the case would randomly flop open mid-carry and spray everything all over. OTOH maybe you are using nicer cases...

I'd rather put all the bits and pieces in a bag with shoulder strap along with oil and a can of last-ditch fuel, and then carry the saw with a scabbard.

Now a small tub or similar I could pack both saws in, along with the fuel can, would be spiffy. Then it could stay in the truck and no worry if its rained on during those weekend getaways...

Thats just the grumblings of a grumpy old repair man, I do the same with repair saws have been run with used sump oil for bar oil- some I refuse to work on- but guess what, I don't own it, the client does- and as such they are free to choose what they run through it and how they store it.
Has little to nothing to do with bar scabbard options.
True that. I cut wood in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, and you would as soon be charged with murder as running a chainsaw in there. Axe, bow saw, cross cut. That's all.
If anybody is hauling a saw in by pack mule or whatever then a scabbard makes perfect sense.

We put scabbards on the bow saws.

Back