bar squeezing a .063 duromatic bar to .050

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunez

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
With the lack of long .050 bar options, I had the bright (dumb?) idea to use a bar closer on a 47" .063 stihl duromatic bar to get it down to .050. This would allow me to use 3/8LP, .325 and 3/8std for milling chain experiments. I know the solid nose bar will have more drag and I will have to run a slacker chain, but would that work? I've read the tip (or whole bar?) on these is super tough stellite, think the squeezer would work on this?
duropinch.png

Good luck. I got one, tried it, failed miserably and went back to my old method using my vise.
Be advised…doing this is a short-lived deal. You will have to true the rails after pinching and, the rails will wear down, eventually to the point you cannot repeat.
If you do not have the right tool to get the rails perfectly trued…1/2 a degree off will get you cutting crooked…don’t even bother.

It won't work, you can't close the rails up evenly because there is solid metal at the base of the groove... so you will just get a taper that will retain the narrower chain slightly better but still allow a significant amount of movement & greater wear on the bar as a result of less surface area contact.
Why not just buy all your chai s in 063... they're generally available.

It won't work, you can't close the rails up evenly because there is solid metal at the base of the groove... so you will just get a taper that will retain the narrower chain slightly better but still allow a significant amount of movement & greater wear on the bar as a result of less surface area contact.
Why not just buy all your chai s in 063... they're generally available.
Yes, and that wear occurs much more rapidly.
Which is why you're better off starting with .050 gauge and moving up as the bar wears.

To the OP…
Can it be done? Yes.
Will it work with that tool? Nope (tried it, have 2, anybody want one?)
Will it work? Not really
Will it last? Nope.
Is it worth the work it will take to pinch that long a bar? Nope, not even close.

There is a big difference trying to make a .063 into a .050 compared to slightly closing worn .050 rails.

Back