Best 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Especially since the 372 has a larger tank than the 462: 770 vs. 720 ml.
Thank you for the anecdote.

MS 462 test stand results: max. power 406 g/kWh, max. torque 467 g/kWh, Stihl specification 401 g/kWh
372 XP X-Torque Husqvarna specification 426 g/kWh

I'm sorry, but without pointing to source documents I will treat such statements as old wives tales, plenty of which circulate on this and other forums.
And why would they single out exactly Stihl? There were quite a few more manufacturers in the market...
Moreover, Komatsu Zenoah's stratified scavenging was also not the only one developed at the time.
John Deere/EMAK tried another method of stratified scavenging called Compressed Air Assisted Injection or Stratified Charge Injection (CAAI/CWI) - US Patent 6,273,037.

Husqvarna (formerly Electrolux) only acquired the OPE part of Komatsu known as Komatsu Zenoah. The price was about JPY 18.2 billion ($155m). Komatsu is still around and manufactures many large machines such as trucks, excavators etc. (including forestry harvesters, forwarders etc.), which are used around the world.

Here we are talking about fuel efficiency, not absolute performance. A machine can be a turd but have very good fuel economy.
A BSFC map, rather than a torque/power curve, would be obviously ideal. Random example:

View attachment 1198874

But assuming we are running two strokes at WOT something like this for 357 XP would be good enough:

View attachment 1198875

q = SFC
Note that there are no dramatic differences in the value of q between the point for which torque takes its maximum value and the point corresponding to the highest power. The same is shown by the measurement results published for these two most important points (500i being an infamous exception).

Regarding MS 261 vs. 550 XP (Mark II). You can laugh at her, but as expected based on the specs, I don't see any significant difference between the two. Echo on the other hand...

View attachment 1198876

As I see it, this has devolved into another Stihl vs. Husqvarna, which doesn't really matter here.
The actual original question was whether strato saws need more oil in the mix to provide sufficient lubrication for the bearings. And that's because of the difference in fuel consumption to do the same work. I wrote that this fuel consumption is actually not that much different between strato and non-strato saws, although on average the introduction of stratified scavenging engines has probably reduced this consumption. On the other hand, other “improvements” were introduced gradually, which also found their way into non-strato engines.
For example, in the first 2 Komatsu Zenoah engines that used their idea they also changed the shape of the combustion chamber, the location of the spark plug, used a modern CDI module. They were also allowed to run leaner.
All of this resulted in reduced exhaust emissions measured according to rules set by environmental agencies, reduced fuel consumption, reduced maximum engine power and torque, increased engine temperature (and thus higher NOx emissions).

The real motivation for the introduction of engines with stratified scavenging was the looming deadlines for agencies like CARB and EPA to introduce new emissions requirements that engines without the aid of a catalytic converter would be unrealistic to meet.

OK. Another example. Results taken from a test conducted for various “cheap” chainsaws.
Stihl MS 181 (strato 1.5 kW): 360 g/kWh (Stihl spec. approx. 370 g/kWh)
Dolmar PS-35 (non-strato 1.7 kW): 460 g/kWh
Solo 643IP: 486 g/kWh
Husqvarna 135 (strato 1.5 kW): 597 g/kWh (Husqvarna spec. 652 g/kWh)
Efco MT 3500 S: 619 g/kWh
Echo CS-310ES: 643 g/kWh
For comparison a Zenoah G375AVS/G370x/G380x "clone" from the same test: 753 g/kWh

Husqvarna 135 is not some exception when it comes to saws sold under this brand by Husqvarna AB.
A few examples (all Husqvarna provided specs):
Husqvarna 130: 725 g/kWh
Husqvarna 135 Mark II: 725 g/kWh
Husqvarna 435 Mark II: 652 g/kWh
Husqvarna 440e Mark II: 513 g/kWh
Husqvarna 445 Mark II: 481 g/kWh
Husqvarna 450 Mark II: 504 g/kWh

OK. Let's see how the bottom of the line sold in the EU and US under the name Husqvarna performs.
Husqvarna 120 Mark II (1.4 kW): 428 g/kWh.

Sounds pretty reasonable... But let's see how it performs in practice out of the box. Ouch, it's probably so lean that it's virtually unusable.

I've never seen such a problem with a Stihl out of the box, which can also be seen in these videos.

Stihl specs:

MS 170 2-Mix 372 g/kWh
MS 180 2-Mix 377 g/kWh
MS 171 415 g/kWh
MS 181 370 g/kWh
MS 211 368 g/kWh
MS 241 364 g/kWh

Unfortunately, I don't yet have the data of the new Stihl turds series (162, 172, 182, 212).

Of course, Husqvarna's “pro” chainsaws are comparable to Stihl's in every way. Those at the bottom of the range are something of a curiosity. Although they are probably no worse in terms of the specifications considered here than other brands anyway.

I really recommend trying something from the 1139 series if one likes low fuel consumption. I know it doesn't get a lot of respect here, but I kept smiling seeing how rarely I had to refill while preparing firewood.

Zenoah = Redmax in the US. Unfortunately, Husqvarna has stopped selling chainsaws under Redmax name. Husqvarna 543 XP is a Zenoah design manufactured in Japan.
Zenoah G45xx/G50xx/G52xx and G375AVS/G37xx/G38xx have been basic design solutions from Chinese manufacturers sold for at least 20 years. It also has the greatest availability/price of parts.

The eu court ruled husqy had to license the auto tune tech to stihl. Stihl sued based on a monopoly basis. I assume it stemmed from husqy acquiring the r&d rights of zenoah before stihl got to. This would have been circa 2007 (ish) Derf mentions this in a thread from 2015. Post 5
https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...buying-a-chainsaw-advice.285142/#post-5515008
I recall at the time it was pretty easy to find information about the court case, however I'm having a difficult time finding the pertinent information now. Possibly someone living in the eu could find it and post a link.
Stratto tech wasn't involved as far as I know, just the electronically controlled carburetor.

The eu court ruled husqy had to license the auto tune tech to stihl. Stihl sued based on a monopoly basis. I assume it stemmed from husqy acquiring the r&d rights of zenoah before stihl got to. This would have been circa 2007 (ish) Derf mentions this in a thread from 2015. Post 5
https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...buying-a-chainsaw-advice.285142/#post-5515008
I recall at the time it was pretty easy to find information about the court case, however I'm having a difficult time finding the pertinent information now. Possibly someone living in the eu could find it and post a link.
Stratto tech wasn't involved as far as I know, just the electronically controlled carburetor.
I do believe strato tech was involved and was actually the main focus of the suit.

I do believe strato tech was involved and was actually the main focus of the suit.
I'm sure it was involved, but what I could find was more towards the electronic control system not stratto tech. Which I think stihl was already using at that time.

I'm sure it was involved, but what I could find was more towards the electronic control system not stratto tech. Which I think stihl was already using at that time.
After doing a bit more research, stihl was licensing strato tech from zenoah before husqy bought them(zenoah) out. I'm still having difficulty finding information on the specific suit that involved the autotune tech.

What they had at the time was delayed scavenging or some such scheme. This was seen on the ms461 cylinder. Then for the 462 they went to straight up strato.

After doing a bit more research, stihl was licensing strato tech from zenoah before husqy bought them(zenoah) out. I'm still having difficulty finding information on the specific suit that involved the autotune tech.
And that's what I think caused the issue. When Husky assumed the K-Z patents they were going to pull the plug on Stihl.
K-Z and Stihl had a relationship going back many years. Redmax actually built a few different trimmers for Stihl.
All this is going by memory so take it for what it's worth.
I do know I have read a detailed description of the case and what it entailed in the past that was in a UK trade journal.

And that's what I think caused the issue. When Husky assumed the K-Z patents they were going to pull the plug on Stihl.
K-Z and Stihl had a relationship going back many years. Redmax actually built a few different trimmers for Stihl.
All this is going by memory so take it for what it's worth.
I do know I have read a detailed description of the case and what it entailed in the past that was in a UK trade journal.
Yeah, it's been difficult to located the Information on the web. Guess we are talking about something that happened some 20 years ago now.

Kioritz , Shindiawa & Merged to become Echo that we now recognize today . Parent Company Yamibiko today . Absolutely , Zenoahs ( orginally Xenoahs) powered the liquid cooled Nitro's & previously CCW in their performance aircooled sleds!
Shindiawa are today manufactured by Echo in Lake Zurich Illnois for the North Amercian market . You are correct within the former Kioritz-Echo nameplate prior to the merger in 2008. Don't see any Shindiawa saws within Echo dealerships North of the Border here . Not sure of South of the border or European markets. Unfortunate , my brother had a 488 that was a awesome middle weight saw .

Especially since the 372 has a larger tank than the 462: 770 vs. 720 ml.
Thank you for the anecdote.

MS 462 test stand results: max. power 406 g/kWh, max. torque 467 g/kWh, Stihl specification 401 g/kWh
372 XP X-Torque Husqvarna specification 426 g/kWh

I'm sorry, but without pointing to source documents I will treat such statements as old wives tales, plenty of which circulate on this and other forums.
And why would they single out exactly Stihl? There were quite a few more manufacturers in the market...
Moreover, Komatsu Zenoah's stratified scavenging was also not the only one developed at the time.
John Deere/EMAK tried another method of stratified scavenging called Compressed Air Assisted Injection or Stratified Charge Injection (CAAI/CWI) - US Patent 6,273,037.

Husqvarna (formerly Electrolux) only acquired the OPE part of Komatsu known as Komatsu Zenoah. The price was about JPY 18.2 billion ($155m). Komatsu is still around and manufactures many large machines such as trucks, excavators etc. (including forestry harvesters, forwarders etc.), which are used around the world.

Here we are talking about fuel efficiency, not absolute performance. A machine can be a turd but have very good fuel economy.
A BSFC map, rather than a torque/power curve, would be obviously ideal. Random example:

View attachment 1198874

But assuming we are running two strokes at WOT something like this for 357 XP would be good enough:

View attachment 1198875

q = SFC
Note that there are no dramatic differences in the value of q between the point for which torque takes its maximum value and the point corresponding to the highest power. The same is shown by the measurement results published for these two most important points (500i being an infamous exception).

Regarding MS 261 vs. 550 XP (Mark II). You can laugh at her, but as expected based on the specs, I don't see any significant difference between the two. Echo on the other hand...

View attachment 1198876

As I see it, this has devolved into another Stihl vs. Husqvarna, which doesn't really matter here.
The actual original question was whether strato saws need more oil in the mix to provide sufficient lubrication for the bearings. And that's because of the difference in fuel consumption to do the same work. I wrote that this fuel consumption is actually not that much different between strato and non-strato saws, although on average the introduction of stratified scavenging engines has probably reduced this consumption. On the other hand, other “improvements” were introduced gradually, which also found their way into non-strato engines.
For example, in the first 2 Komatsu Zenoah engines that used their idea they also changed the shape of the combustion chamber, the location of the spark plug, used a modern CDI module. They were also allowed to run leaner.
All of this resulted in reduced exhaust emissions measured according to rules set by environmental agencies, reduced fuel consumption, reduced maximum engine power and torque, increased engine temperature (and thus higher NOx emissions).

The real motivation for the introduction of engines with stratified scavenging was the looming deadlines for agencies like CARB and EPA to introduce new emissions requirements that engines without the aid of a catalytic converter would be unrealistic to meet.

OK. Another example. Results taken from a test conducted for various “cheap” chainsaws.
Stihl MS 181 (strato 1.5 kW): 360 g/kWh (Stihl spec. approx. 370 g/kWh)
Dolmar PS-35 (non-strato 1.7 kW): 460 g/kWh
Solo 643IP: 486 g/kWh
Husqvarna 135 (strato 1.5 kW): 597 g/kWh (Husqvarna spec. 652 g/kWh)
Efco MT 3500 S: 619 g/kWh
Echo CS-310ES: 643 g/kWh
For comparison a Zenoah G375AVS/G370x/G380x "clone" from the same test: 753 g/kWh

Husqvarna 135 is not some exception when it comes to saws sold under this brand by Husqvarna AB.
A few examples (all Husqvarna provided specs):
Husqvarna 130: 725 g/kWh
Husqvarna 135 Mark II: 725 g/kWh
Husqvarna 435 Mark II: 652 g/kWh
Husqvarna 440e Mark II: 513 g/kWh
Husqvarna 445 Mark II: 481 g/kWh
Husqvarna 450 Mark II: 504 g/kWh

OK. Let's see how the bottom of the line sold in the EU and US under the name Husqvarna performs.
Husqvarna 120 Mark II (1.4 kW): 428 g/kWh.

Sounds pretty reasonable... But let's see how it performs in practice out of the box. Ouch, it's probably so lean that it's virtually unusable.

I've never seen such a problem with a Stihl out of the box, which can also be seen in these videos.

Stihl specs:

MS 170 2-Mix 372 g/kWh
MS 180 2-Mix 377 g/kWh
MS 171 415 g/kWh
MS 181 370 g/kWh
MS 211 368 g/kWh
MS 241 364 g/kWh

Unfortunately, I don't yet have the data of the new Stihl turds series (162, 172, 182, 212).

Of course, Husqvarna's “pro” chainsaws are comparable to Stihl's in every way. Those at the bottom of the range are something of a curiosity. Although they are probably no worse in terms of the specifications considered here than other brands anyway.

I really recommend trying something from the 1139 series if one likes low fuel consumption. I know it doesn't get a lot of respect here, but I kept smiling seeing how rarely I had to refill while preparing firewood.

Zenoah = Redmax in the US. Unfortunately, Husqvarna has stopped selling chainsaws under Redmax name. Husqvarna 543 XP is a Zenoah design manufactured in Japan.
Zenoah G45xx/G50xx/G52xx and G375AVS/G37xx/G38xx have been basic design solutions from Chinese manufacturers sold for at least 20 years. It also has the greatest availability/price of parts.

Like I mentioned earlier, your paper specs don’t really mean anything when it comes to cut speed. Even dyno results don’t result in solid info that relates directly to cutting speed. But if all you go by is what’s written on paper you’ll never realize that.

I’ve been reading and following articles here for 20 years and have been a member for 10. I try my best to only pass on accurate info. Just because you can’t find that info or because it doesn’t fit your narrative doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I’d suggest doing a little more homework before you scoff

Don't know how much I want to bogg this thread down further. But I've found patent (s) from husqy for electronic adjustment of a/f ratio back as far as 2006. US8074623B2. I haven't found anything patent related for stihl back that far, but being honest it's quite tedious looking for this stuff.

Don't know how much I want to bogg this thread down further. But I've found patent (s) from husqy for electronic adjustment of a/f ratio back as far as 2006. US8074623B2. I haven't found anything patent related for stihl back that far, but being honest it's quite tedious looking for this stuff.
1724168896262.png

I was always just under the assumption they didn't need to use it on their (smaller) equipment to meet emissions compliance.
The blower in question is 80cc so maybe it crossed a line displacement wise.
My redmax Kombi is stratocharged and has a cat muffler.
I haven't made any effort to understand the whole emmissions scheme for small engines, but I think it must be some sort of fleet average type thing with different emmissions cut offs by CC levels.

Like I mentioned earlier, your paper specs don’t really mean anything when it comes to cut speed. Even dyno results don’t result in solid info that relates directly to cutting speed. But if all you go by is what’s written on paper you’ll never realize that.

I’ve been reading and following articles here for 20 years and have been a member for 10. I try my best to only pass on accurate info. Just because you can’t find that info or because it doesn’t fit your narrative doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I’d suggest doing a little more homework before you scoff
Running something trumps going by paper every time.
I remember back in 1997 I bought a limited release Polaris XC700. The following year the full production model had a new cylinder head and cylinder casting that was suppose to make more HP and it did on the dyno conclusively. The problem was once you got the 97 and 98 on snow and ran them the 97 trounced the 98 and by a significant amount.

That has nothing to do with stihl.

You mentioned "Husqy" from 2006. Electrolux = Husqvarna. Changed the name in 2006. Swedish patent application from 1993.

1724169937081.png

If you are interested in Stihl patent have a look at US 8,544,448 filed in 2010.

You mentioned "Husqy" from 2006. Electrolux = Husqvarna. Changed the name in 2006. Swedish patent application from 1993.

View attachment 1198965

If you are interested in Stihl patent have a look at US 8,544,448 filed in 2010.
Should have been more clear, I stopped looking when I hit 2006. Just too many patents to go through just from husqvarnas engine division that have nothing to do with the fuel system or emissions.
I did find end up finding the stihl 2010 8544448 patent in my search after i posted above. if you look closely at it, it's a direct copy of the husqy filed patent

Should have been more clear, I stopped looking when I hit 2006. Just too many patents to go through just from husqvarnas engine division that have nothing to do with the fuel system or emissions.
I did find end up finding the stihl 2010 8544448 patent in my search after i posted above. if you look closely at it, it's a direct copy of the husqy filed patent
I have a lot of comments about the activities of patent offices, and strange things happen there, but if the claims of one patent application were actually identical to an already existing patent or application, they would be rejected by the patent office(s). And then the applicant would have to amend them or give up after some time.
This is the primary role of patent offices, and the people who work there are paid to check the prior art.

Running something trumps going by paper every time.
I remember back in 1997 I bought a limited release Polaris XC700. The following year the full production model had a new cylinder head and cylinder casting that was suppose to make more HP and it did on the dyno conclusively. The problem was once you got the 97 and 98 on snow and ran them the 97 trounced the 98 and by a significant amount.
The same thing applies to chainsaws. I’ve seen little 6HP 346 beat up on 6.5 HP 346 and 4910’s.

Back