Redmax two stroke oil for a reasonable price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your correct Ben , no comparison however a few quality saw builders have posted pic's on the forum of the saw bottom ends smeared with Red Armor , including residual pooling within the crankcase . I agree the best protection I have witnessed recently . I think Kevin provided some video's including Dominator usage .
These on Kevin's you tube channel?

So I guess Amsoil is out for them since my understanding is they do not submit their oil for testing.

No one submits an oil for testing. They pay money to be able to use the FD certification symbol based on the ingredients and the honor system

These on Kevin's you tube channel?
I did a video after about 25 gallons of fuel usage on my 500 using Dominator. I needed some ammo to fire at people who claimed that using more oil than 50:1 will build carbon, or that they use a different oil because Dominator creates too much carbon. Dominator leaves the exhaust flange shiny silver and there’s a little bit of a hard glossy black coating inside the muffler

I did a video after about 25 gallons of fuel usage on my 500 using Dominator. I needed some ammo to fire at people who claimed that using more oil than 50:1 will build carbon, or that they use a different oil because Dominator creates too much carbon. Dominator leaves the exhaust flange shiny silver and there’s a little bit of a hard glossy black coating inside the muffler
Yep , remember that Kevin . I don't recall the gent who sent in pics of the Red Armor to the forum . He was a saw enthusiast & porter . He was impressed with the internal protection that it provided & sent in a few pics of the crank & bearing assembly . Anyhow i have personally witnessed the same within the internals of my Vintage Polaris RXL650 race sled , great oil .

Your correct Ben , no comparison however a few quality saw builders have posted pic's on the forum of the saw bottom ends smeared with Red Armor , including residual pooling within the crankcase . I agree the best protection I have witnessed recently . I think Kevin provided some video's including Dominator usage .
I thought my question was obvious but I'll clarify. Is the difference in performance between the two exacerbated by one being full synthetic and one partial or does that have nothing to do with it. Do synthetics have a performance advantage over fossil based or is that a non factor?

No one submits an oil for testing. They pay money to be able to use the FD certification symbol based on the ingredients and the honor system
Then the FD on the labels are meaningless in light of no formal testing procedure by independent labs. They might as well put "The Official 2 Stroke Oil of Summer" on the bottle.

As it pertains to how a saw looks during a visual inspection 90% of it is how the saw is tuned and ran. This is assuming your not using boat oil...
I have been in side engines that have ran 20:1 and they were very clean. I've also been in engines run at 50:1 that looked like trash.

I thought my question was obvious but I'll clarify. Is the difference in performance between the two exacerbated by one being full synthetic and one partial or does that have nothing to do with it. Do synthetics have a performance advantage over fossil based or is that a non factor?
Non factor in chainsaws.

It's actually not based on ingredients, but on certification tests. Most of which are performed by third parties.

In addition to the results from the test bench, you need to provide a completed form with the physical and chemical properties of the oil, including the result of the infrared absorption spectral analysis.

1723638382497.png
Then the FD on the labels are meaningless in light of no formal testing procedure by independent labs. They might as well put "The Official 2 Stroke Oil of Summer" on the bottle.
JASO can also carry out market surveys of classified oils present on the market and, if non-compliance is found, ask the applicant for explanations.

In the case of Japan (and perhaps some other countries as well), JASO may also take legal action based on existing national laws.

This is true for a significant portion of the products marketed. E.g., in Europe, the conformity assessment and 'CE' marking system that I am familiar with is also predominantly based on self-assessment. Obviously there are mechanisms for checking compliance by authorities.

The situation is similar with the engine submissions to the EPA discussed on this forum. This, too, is a system based on self-assessment with mechanisms for checking by the authority and the existing possibility of penalties.

The difference, of course, is that oil labeling/rating is voluntary and, for example, the Japanese organization has little ability to act outside Japan. CE and EPA, on the other hand, are mandatory with sanctions enshrined in national law.

As it pertains to how a saw looks during a visual inspection 90% of it is how the saw is tuned and ran. This is assuming your not using boat oil...
I have been in side engines that have ran 20:1 and they were very clean. I've also been in engines run at 50:1 that looked like trash.
I have mostly given up comparing adjustable carburetor saws because of this reason. Plenty of autotune stuff out there that always runs correctly so I’ve been using those for examples

They are both semi synthetic oils. Yes there is a performance difference, red armor being slightly superior in my experience using it. No I wouldn't turn my nose up at Rex max/ husqy oil. It's a good oil.
The tests are done by independent labs, using standardized test methods. Which JASO clearly outlines.
the API is run mostly the same way as per testings, the API dies have a monitoring and enforcement program, but I do not think there is any law (s) backing it.
You can find more information here.
https://www.api.org/products-and-services/engine-oil
Really one is no different then the other. mfg that did the testing and submitted for the "certification" will usually be quick to give up the test results and lab information where the testing was done. It signals they have quality oil, and have done the testing to back it(the oil) meets the minimum requirements set forth by a recognized industry standard.

To me, being a full synthetic, semi synthetic, or conventional oil means nothing. I have personally seen semi and full synthetic oil build carbon and stuck rings from carbon and a thick heavy wax. And I have also seen conventional oil that will turn the outside of a piston brown but no carbon buildup anywhere. The individual oil means more than whether it is synthetic or not

To me, being a full synthetic, semi synthetic, or conventional oil means nothing. I have personally seen semi and full synthetic oil build carbon and stuck rings from carbon and a thick heavy wax. And I have also seen conventional oil that will turn the outside of a piston brown but no carbon buildup anywhere. The individual oil means more than whether it is synthetic or not
I don't have to agree with everything this guy writes, but this is a good start.

https://dragonfly75.com/moto/oil.html

I have mostly given up comparing adjustable carburetor saws because of this reason. Plenty of autotune stuff out there that always runs correctly so I’ve been using those for examples

Yes, and there is a reason the majority of the oils that are JASO certified are formulated more or less the same. IE PIB and mineral oil blends.

Back