Best chain/bar/sprocket setup for MM'd 261 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So basically the only downside is it dulls quickly! Would I be able to get 5 or 6 tanks on one sharpening if mainly cutting softwood and a bit of birch?

5-6 tanks between sharpenings?? That seems nuts to me. If i don't notice that my chain is dulling, I touch it up after an hour of use anyway. It's much easier to sharpen when it's still close to sharp. Besides, all this talk of more power and which chain is faster is completely moot if you want to go that long between filings. Stick with what you've got, file after every tank, two at most. You'll be cutting faster, saving time and fuel, and your saw will be much happier. Just my .02.

If you want to go all day on a chain, get an old saw like an 038 with .404 chain and run semi chisel.

5-6 tanks between sharpenings?? That seems nuts to me. If i don't notice that my chain is dulling, I touch it up after an hour of use anyway. It's much easier to sharpen when it's still close to sharp. Besides, all this talk of more power and which chain is faster is completely moot if you want to go that long between filings. Stick with what you've got, file after every tank, two at most. You'll be cutting faster, saving time and fuel, and your saw will be much happier. Just my .02.

If you want to go all day on a chain, get an old saw like an 038 with .404 chain and run semi chisel.

haha yea, I don't usually sharpen out in the field. Always sharpen when I get back. Pretty remote and blood sucking fly infested where I go with it, either that or super cold and full of snow.

Is it a 0.050" guage on that tuning kit?

Yes it is.
Kit includes 16" bar (30030006313), 3 chains (36170000060) and sprocket (00006421240).
Any 3/8 lp .050 gauge with 60dl will fit, so you don't have to use picco super chains on softwood. I use oregon 91vxl and carlton n1c for spruce & pine.

RV

haha yea, I don't usually sharpen out in the field. Always sharpen when I get back. Pretty remote and blood sucking fly infested where I go with it, either that or super cold and full of snow.

That's fine, but in that case you should strongly consider swapping chains after a tank or two and then file or grind them when you get home.

Ended up getting the 63PS kit... it definitely rips! Not to fond of the leuvers on the muffler mod though, noticible power increase but I hate the exhaust coming out towards my hand... I may try getting a husky deflector to mount over it.

Back